Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Expand Variables and Wildcards into another variable. Post 303035162 by wisecracker on Wednesday 15th of May 2019 01:07:26 PM
Old 05-15-2019
A very, very simple example:
Code:
Last login: Wed May 15 18:04:12 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> ls Au*
AudioScope.Circuits       AudioScope.sh
AudioScope.Config         AudioScope_1.sh
AudioScope.Manual         AudioScope_Quick_Start.Notes
AMIGA:amiga~> 
AMIGA:amiga~> echo Au*
AudioScope.Circuits AudioScope.Config AudioScope.Manual AudioScope.sh AudioScope_1.sh AudioScope_Quick_Start.Notes
AMIGA:amiga~> _

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to seperate a variable in 2 variables

Dear all, i dont know how to split one variable value in 2 variable. please send me any example. variable1= "abcde developer" now i want to seperate the values and seperator is space. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: intikhabalam
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to expand environment variables in a file?

I am new to unix and would appreciate if someone could help. I have an environment variable SourceFilePath=/db1/Src/test set on the unix server. I want to expand this SHELL variable in a file using any command sed, awk etc File contents is as follows: var=$SourceFilePath/file.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debbie15
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using wildcards in variables in zsh

Probably a stupid question... how do I use a wildcard in a variable in zsh? If I do: var=* echo $var in bash, it will print all files/directories in the current directory. If I do it in zsh, it will only output an asterisk without the wildcard functionality. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RainbowLAr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop using input file doesn't expand variables

Hi, I'm using a for loop reading from an input file that contains files, whose path includes a variable name. But the for loop doesn't expand the variable and therefore can't find the file. Here's an example: File BACKUPFILES /home/John/alpha /home/Sue/beta... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hesiod
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variables - eval - expand etc.

Hello, so i'm making a script, using dynamic variables and trying to expand them. So far it hasn't worked out too well so it seems that I need some help from you, the elite. Example: #!/bin/sh counter=0 until (($counter>5)) counter2=1 until (($counter2>6)); do if ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set a variable name from another variables value?

Experts, I want to set value of variables like this in bash shell: i=5 ; L=100 I want variable d5 (that is d(i) ) to be assign the value of $L , d$i=$L ; echo $d5 Not working Thanks., (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable variables

Hello, Can you please help here? DAY=$1 MONTH_MONDAY_YEAR = 1 2 3 4 for i in ${MONTH_${DAY}_YEAR} do echo ${i} done ./test.sh MONDAY ./test.sh: line 3: MONTH_MONDAY_YEAR: command not found ./test.sh: line 10: ${MONTH_${DAY}_YEAR}: bad substitution (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies
environ(4)							   File Formats 							environ(4)

NAME
environ, pref, variables - user-preference variables files for AT&T FACE SYNOPSIS
$HOME/pref/.environ $HOME/pref/.variables $HOME/FILECABINET/.pref $HOME/WASTEBASKET/.pref DESCRIPTION
The .environ, .pref, and .variables files contain variables that indicate user preferences for a variety of operations. The .environ and .variables files are located under the user's $HOME/pref directory. The .pref files are found under $HOME/FILECABINET, $HOME/WASTEBASKET, and any directory where preferences were set via the organize command. Names and descriptions for each variable are presented below. Vari- ables are listed one per line and are of the form variable=value. .environ Variables Variables found in .environ include: LOGINWIN[1-4] Windows that are opened when FACE is initialized. SORTMODE Sort mode for file folder listings. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 1 Sorted alphabetically by name. 2 Files most recently modified first. 800 Sorted alphabetically by object type. The values above may be listed in reverse order by ORing the following value: 1000 List objects in reverse order. For example, a value of 1002 will produce a folder listing with files LEAST recently modified displayed first. A value of 1001 would produce a "reverse" alphabetical by name listing of the folder. DISPLAYMODE Display mode for file folders. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 0 File names only. 4 File names and brief description. 8 File names, description, plus additional information. WASTEPROMPT Prompt before emptying wastebasket (yes/no?). WASTEDAYS Number of days before emptying wastebasket. PRINCMD[1-3] Print command defined to print files. UMASK Holds default permissions with which files will be created. .pref Variables Variables found in .pref are the following: SORTMODE Contains the same values as the SORTMODE variable described in .environ above. DISPMODE Contains the same values as the DISPLAYMODE variable described in .environ above. .variable Variables Variables found in .variables include: EDITOR Default editor. PS1 Shell prompt. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 environ(4)