Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Variable definition inside mysql query Post 303034925 by RudiC on Thursday 9th of May 2019 11:17:53 AM
Old 05-09-2019
The bold video_id IS the column value from the table.

Do you REALLY want the string constant '.655.' (with two enclosing dots), or the integer video ID?

What is the output of your above select, and what if '.655.' is replaced by video_id?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable from shell script to mysql query?

I heard this was possible but from my research I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Seems it should be simple enough. Basically from a high level view I'm trying to accomplish... . $X='grep foo blah.log' then 'mysql command SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE ' . $X or something like that. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kero
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash assign mysql query single field to variable

I'm running a bash script query and assigning the output to a variable like this: exists=`mysql -u $USER_NAME --password=$PASSWORD -D "somedb" \ -e "SELECT * FROM somedb.sometable WHERE field1 ='$a' \ AND field2 ='$b' LIMIT 0 , 30";` which returns something like: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a shell script variable in a mysql query using 'LIKE'

Hello. I am writing a simple script that reads a text file and removes records from a mysql database. The items in the text file are of the format: firstname.middle.lastXXX, where XXX is a 3 digit number. The table has an email field that will match the firstname.middle.last. So, I thought I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bricoleur
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is inside the definition of Unix?

Is FreeBSD and OpenBSD considered Unix? What O.S does Most of the forum members use? How popular are Licensed Unix operating systems for home users? Additionally I thought Linux was a Minux fork and BSD was a Unix fork. Thanks in ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] ksh93 +break [n] +continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this manual page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ksh93 break is a shell special built-in that exits the smallest enclosing for, select, while, or until loop. It also exits the nth enclosing loop if n is specified. Execution continues at the command following the loop or loops. If n is specified, it must be a positive integer >=1. If n is larger than the number of enclosing loops, the last enclosing loop is exited. continue is a shell special built-in that continues execution at the top of the smallest enclosing for, select, while, or until loop, if any; or of the top of the nth enclosing loop if n is specified. If n is specified, it must be a positive integer >=1. If n is larger than the number of enclosing loops, the last enclosing loop is used. On this manual page, ksh93(1) commands that are preceded by one or two + symbols are special built-in commands and are treated the follow- ing ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Built-in commands are not valid function names. 5. Words following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 break(1)