Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find command giving bad status error Post 303034768 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 5th of May 2019 07:24:46 AM
Old 05-05-2019
All /usr/bin/find versions should work, even with strange file names.
I guess you have run a wrong "find".
Check with
Code:
which find
type find

Run it with pathname
Code:
/usr/bin/find ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command not giving file names accord. to timestamps

Currently iam working on solaris environment, Iam using find command to get list of all files between any two given dates. But the find command is not listing files accord. to timestamp. I tried using -exec option as -exec ls -ltr {} \; Still the files are not listed according to timestamp..... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
8 Replies

2. Solaris

PZ help :configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up

While installing amanda server,i got the following error ## checking lex output file root... configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up. when i execute # which lex i got /usr/ccs/bin/lex setting the pathg does not work too After this i tried intalling flex in my /opt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullet350
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command is giving error in shell script

Hi, In my shell script when I am using mv command using shell variables it is giving me error of syntax. Following is the shell script: file_edifice="*.txt" fquote="'" fdquote=\" for file in $file_edifice do file_name=$fquote$file$fquote tofile_name=`date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammit
5 Replies

4. Linux

acroread command giving error

Hi, When I run the command acroread it is giving error ERROR: Cannot find installation directory. When I look at /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/ an exicutable file named acroread is there. When i run ./acroread from that directory it is working . What can i do so that I can give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printer status script giving error

Hi, We check the printer status at the command line by giving the following command and the system gives an output; lpstat -prn001_hp4000n When I give the same command in a UNIX script the system gives an error while running the script as "lpstat: not found". Please let me know... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command returning bad status--

would like to remove the post (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command giving incomplete sentence warning

Hi , I am adding a line in my shell scripts to delete all the old directory with the below command. On running this command it is coming out with the message find: incomplete statement find /ersdg3/ERS/ERS_INPUT_LOGS/RIO/rio_archive -type d -mtime +47 -exec rm -rf {} What is wrong or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit Status Of Find Command

Hello All, I am trying to capture the exit status of find command and want to delete the files only when it is successful. But it is always returning me as success even if the pattern of that file doesn't exist in the current directory. please help, checked manual page but couldn't able to figure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command on a empty directory - bad status

when I run the following command in AIX (bash), find ./* I get the following error. find: bad status-- ./* Thats becasuse, its an empty directory. The same works, when there the directory is not empty. Even though the find deesnt have to rerun any result. My full find command would look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - Locates files for programs SYNOPSIS
whereis [-bms] [-u] [-BMS directory... -f] program... The whereis command locates source, binary, and/or reference page files for the specified program program. OPTIONS
The -b, -m, and -s options can be used in combination to restrict the search. Searches for an executable program. Searches for the refer- ence page for a program. Searches for the sources of a program. Use the -B, -M, and -S options to change or limit the places whereis searches. Specifies the binary directories to search. Specifies the reference page directories to search. Specifies the source directories to search. The other options that can be used with whereis are as follows: Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of program names. Used with other options to indicate when there is no file for program in the default or specified directory or directories (source, binary, or reference page). DESCRIPTION
The whereis program locates source, binary, and reference pages for the specified programs. When looking for a match, the program names are stripped of leading pathname components and any trailing extensions of the form (for example, s. resulting from the use of the Source Code Control System see sccs(1), are also handled. The default directories searched by the whereis command are as follows: /etc /etc/nls /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lbin /usr/lbin/spell /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lib /usr/local /usr/hosts /usr/sbin EXAMPLES
To find files matching cat in the default source, binary, and reference directories, enter: whereis cat To search for reference pages for app13 in the directory /usr/local/man, enter: whereis -M /usr/local/man -f -f appl3 To find the programs in /usr/bin that do not have ref- erence pages in /usr/share/man/man1 with source files in /usr/src/cmd, enter: whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f /usr/bin/* To find which files in the current directory either have no reference pages in the default reference directories or have more than one, enter: whereis -m -u * FILES
Default binary directories. Default binary directories. Default reference directories. Default source directories. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), find(1), man(1), which(1), catman(8) whereis(1)