Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LM 19.1 from pendrive
Operating Systems Linux LM 19.1 from pendrive Post 303033517 by jake19 on Sunday 7th of April 2019 10:27:50 AM
Old 04-07-2019
Corona688, he's been told this a bunch of times on other forums, and doesn't seem to listen. The link he tried to post was to mkusb, which he was told about 6 times. Doesn't seem to sink in for him that slow media is slow, and he seems to think Mint was designed to be used from USB with no issues. And if I've read their other forum threads right, theyve been using the same USB stick for YEARS now, just reformatting. Telling them about bad cells and flash drive life doesn't sink in either.

You can use mkusb (and other tools) to actually install to a thumbdrive, and partition it. But why bother? There are actual distros like puppy and tails that are made to run like that, so they run faster. Mint ain't one of them.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

helo how to mount pendrive on redhat 9

helo my sysem is running on redhat 9. now i want to take data from redhat 9 pc to pen drive. but when i plug it it is not detected. can u tell me how to mount pendrive on redhat9. amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot from a pendrive

Can anybody explane 'How to boot from a pendrive' ?Is it possible to load Operating System from a pendrive----? How? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

4. SCO

mount the pendrive on the unixware 7.1.4

please let me know how to mount the pendrive on the unixware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to acces my pendrive in linux

Hi Gurus, in linux I am unable to access my pendrive(i am even not seeing the icon or location for my pendrive ). Please anyany could help me to get rid of this issue. regards, Sanjay :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.login
4 Replies

6. Slackware

Which USB pendrive image to install Slackware on an old AMD K6 3D ?

Holla, I have been trying to install a recent distro, with a minimum X such as jwm, but unfortunately my cdrom is broken and I can only boot the USB port, with a pendrive. AMD K6 3D is today too old for being for linux. Is there an image of slackware than runs that processor and that can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor34
5 Replies
NEWFS_UDF(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWFS_UDF(8)

NAME
newfs_udf -- construct a new UDF file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_udf [-cFM] [-L loglabel] [-P discid] [-p percentage] [-S setlabel] [-s size] [-t gmtoff] [-V max_udf] [-v min_udf] special DESCRIPTION
The newfs_udf utility creates an UDF file system on device special suitable for the media currently inserted. The options are as follow: -c Perform a crude surface check first to weed out disc faults on rewritable media. -F Force file system construction on non-empty recordable media. -L loglabel Set the disc logical label to the specified loglabel. -M Disable metadata partition creation when selected UDF version or media dictates this. For strict conformance and interchange, don't disable this unless its causing problems. -P discid Set the physical disc label to the specified discid. For strict conformance and interchange, don't set this manually. -p percentage Percentage of partition to be initially reserved for metadata on the Metadata partition. It defaults to 20 %. -S setlabel Set the disc set label to the specified setlabel. For strict conformance and interchange, don't set this manually. -s size Ignored for now. -t gmtoff Use the specified gmtoff as gmt time offset for recording times on the disc. -V max_udf Select max_udf as the maximum UDF version to be supported. For UDF version 2.50, use ``0x250'' or ``2.50''. -v min_udf Select min_udf as the minimum UDF version to be supported. For UDF version 2.01, use ``0x201'' or ``2.01''. NOTES
The UDF file system is defined for the entire optical medium. It can only function on the entire CD/DVD/BD so the raw partition has to be specified for read/write actions. For newfs_udf this means specifying the raw device with the raw partition, i.e. /dev/rcd0d or /dev/rcd0c. Some rewritable optical media needs to be formatted first before it can be used by UDF. This can be done using mmcformat(8). The default UDF version is version 2.01. EXAMPLES
newfs_udf -S "Encyclopedia" -L "volume 2" -P "copy-nr-1" /dev/rcd0d Create a file system, using the specified names on the device /dev/rcd0d with the default UDF version. dd if=/dev/zero of=bigdisk.2048.udf seek=9999999 count=1 vnconfig -c vnd0 bigdisk.2048.udf 2048/1/1/1 newfs_udf -L bigdisk /dev/rvnd0d Create a 4.8 GiB sparse file and configure it using vnconfig(8) to be a 2048 sector size disc and create a new UDF file system on /dev/rvnd0d. newfs_udf -L "My USB stick" /dev/rsd0d Create a new UDF file system on the inserted USB stick using its ``native'' sectorsize of 512. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), disklabel(8), mmcformat(8), newfs(8) HISTORY
The newfs_udf command first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 23, 2009 BSD