Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DISK and MPIO
Operating Systems AIX DISK and MPIO Post 303033185 by bakunin on Monday 1st of April 2019 07:26:21 AM
Old 04-01-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat
--> the disks marked with Defined mean that they are not available?
Exactly. AIX stores information about devices generally in the ODM. Since this is updated only by a run of cfgmgr (in fact that is the very purpose of this command) it might be that a device is still defined in the ODM (because once it was available but is not any more now) describes a device that is already removed (or not working for some other reason). These devices will be in state "Defined". Re-plung them in and they become "Available" automatically. Delete them from the ODM (via rmdev and they will be gone forever - only to return after being replugged and cfgmgr is run again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat
We can opt to select the mpio method sddpcm, AIX PCM for whatever disk we want?
You need to use a driver that works (duh! ;-)) ). It does not only depend on a disk if a driver works or not but also on the nature of the connection LUN<->host system, the storage subsystem involved the type of fabric you use and so on.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX MPIO and EMC

We are looking at running MPIO for it's redundancy and load balancing benefits. Does anyone know what pieces of software or modules are needed on the VIO server to get load balancing to work. Remember we are using EMC's DMX3500 storage system. We no longer want to use Powerpath. :rolleyes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vxg0wa3
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.3 MPIO vs RDAC on DS4000 range

Hi I would like to ask what the benefits are of changing from RDAC to MPIO when connecting to a DS4000 on AIX 5.3? I have heard that IBM MPIO "might" support more than 1 active path to a LUN when connecting to a DS4800 through more than 1 host connection on the same AIX client. I understand that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
8 Replies

3. AIX

AIX native MPIO

Hi folks, does anybody have a link to a documentation how to implement native MPIO on AIX? We are using EMC PowerPath and Datacore SanSymphony/Cambex for this so far and I wasn't able to find a good description on that topic. All I know so far is that mkpath, chpath and lspath are used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

4. AIX

SDD SDDPCM MPIO lspath Jargon

Can anyone recommend me some reading material surrounding how AIX handles LUNs: - with and without MPIO installed - with and without SDD or SDDPCM installed Where does lspath sit in all of this (MPIO layer?). Can a system be built with just MPIO software? Is MPIO software even needed? I guess... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
0 Replies

5. AIX

MPIO Driver

On a particular LPAR, I was running AIX 5.3 TL 3. On Monday I did an update of the LPAR to 5.3 TL 9 SP2. The install was smooth, but then I ran into a problem. The MPIO driver does not work with LSI's StoreAge (SVM4). I did some looking, and looks like 5.3 TL3 = IBM.MPIO 5.3.0.30 5.3... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: clking
0 Replies

6. AIX

MPIO reliability

Hi, we have a vew boxes using MPIO and they are connected to some virtualization software managing some disk subsystems, offering volumes to the AIX boxes. Sometimes when a cable has been plugged out for a test or when a real problem occurs, using lspath to show the state of the paths shows... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
8 Replies

7. AIX

MPIO - list of supported arrays

Hello, we are planning to deploy some of our databases on AIX/LPAR based servers (we didn't bought it yet ...). IBM's engineers says that if we want to boot them from SAN the hardware array has to be compatible with MPIO but they don't want to deliver any document with list of arrays supported... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy55
5 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrading from native MPIO to SDDPCM AIX 6.1

We have AIX 6.1 system attached to SAN disks (DS4700 and DS8100) thru SVC. Initially when the system was I forgot to install sddpcm drivers. and wanted to know how can i go with the installation of the sddpcm drivers. My understandin going thru the manual ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

9. AIX

Failed mpio path on AIX5.3

I have found failed mpio path on AIX and enabled that failed path as below failed path on AIX bash-3.2# lspath -l hdisk10 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi0 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi0 Failed hdisk10 fscsi3 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi3 Enabled failed path as below chpath -l hdisk10 -p fscsi3 -s enable... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
13 Replies

10. AIX

Need Help with SDD / SDDPCM / MPIO

This is getting very confusing for me, and appreciate if someone can help. Platform: Power VM ( Virtual I/O Server) ioslevel 2.1.3.10-FP23 # oslevel -s 6100-05-00-0000 Storage: IBM DS4300 Two HBAs - Dual Port Fibre Adapter Channels Each card has two ports , so a total of 4 ports going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
sys_attrs_isa(5)						File Formats Manual						  sys_attrs_isa(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_isa - isa subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
This reference page lists and describes attributes for the ISA Bus (isa) kernel subsystem. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. For this subsytem, users should modify only the following attribute and do so only for the purpose described. Any other visible attributes cannot or should not be modified. Enables (1) or disables (0) console messages that are used by driver developers to collect information about a configuration prob- lem. A developer can set this attribute by using the sysconfig or sysconfigdb utility. See sysconfig(8), sysconfigdb(8), and cfg- mgr(8) for more information on options for modifying attributes and reconfiguring a kernel subsystem. Default value: 0 SEE ALSO
Commands: cfgmgr(8), sysconfig(8), sysconfigdb(8) Files: stanza(4), cfgmgr.auth(4), sysconfigtab(4) Others: sys_attrs(5) Writing EISA and ISA Bus Device Drivers sys_attrs_isa(5)