Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sourcing file from parent directory bash Post 303033151 by int3g3r on Sunday 31st of March 2019 07:45:34 AM
Old 03-31-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
install.bash is run from /home/username, where xterm is called from as well, executing ./scripts/source.bash, pwd still pointing at /home/username. So ../links will be looked for in /home, where it, of course, does not reside.

This "mess" shows again, that it may prove use- and helpful to - at least consider to - use absolute paths in script systems.

Solved, Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get parent directory of a file

In shell how would I get the parent directory of a file. E.g. I feed this in: /path/to/textfile.txt And get just: /path/to Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd to parent directory

Is there anyway i can cd to the parent directory of my current directory without using .. entries? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux17
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent and child directory

does anyone know how to check in an 'if' statement if a particular directory is a child directory of a particular directory? help ~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catching the xml tag when only parent directory is known ..not the actual directory

Hi folks, I have an query that is let say i have to search in an xml file an tag that is <abcdef> now this xml file is at /opt/usr/local so one fastest way to achieve this is go to this location by cd /opt/usr/local and then do grep like this... grep -i abcdef but for this I must know the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing .cshrc (C shell) environment variables to bash

I have tried with the following: csh -c 'source ~/.cshrc; exec bash' # works perfectly (cat ~/.cshrc; echo exec bash) | csh # not working And, using sed, I successfully retrieved the environment variables from ~/.cshrc sed -rn 's/setenv\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)$/export \1=\2/p' ~/.cshrc but now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent Child directory and file details

Kindly help below command details in UNIX. 1.What is the Unix command to see parent and child directory details starting from root directory in tree structure using LS-LRT or any other way 2.What is the Unix command to see parent and child directory details starting from root directory in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing Env file with eval works with ksh but not BASH

Hi, I am running this on Redhat 5.10 I have a simple test script called test.sh which has the following contents and it uses the BASH shebang. ------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash eval `/tmp/filereader.pl /tmp/envfile.txt` echo "TESTPATH=$TESTPATH" ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
28 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resume parent shell after sourcing another script

#! /bin/ksh #first.sh echo "b4 set exit as return" alias exit=return echo "call second" . ./second.sh echo "after second" #. ./third.sh unalias exit echo "ho lanciato il terzo" =================// #second.sh echo "in scond" exit ==============// the above code works in k... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename the file name from Parent directory

Hi All, Just started learning unix and stuck into below issue. Suppose i have folder structure as below. Dir1/Dir2/Dir3/File1.msg I am looking to rename the file name from File1.msg to File2.msg but from the parent Dir1 From Dir3 i can easily run the command like mv File1.msg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurjeet Singh
2 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)