Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect script not passing password / commands ?? Post 303031709 by jacob600 on Monday 4th of March 2019 06:41:05 PM
Old 03-04-2019
Expect script not passing password / commands ??

Newbie here. My goal is to have the expect script log into the Ubuntu 18.04 server and run two commands (lsb_release -a and ip addr) and eventually pipe the output/results to a file. For now, I would be happy to get this one command or two to run successfully. How to fix this?

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect 
set timeout 60 
spawn ssh admin@192.168.1.12
expect " admin@192.168.1.12's password: " 
send " admin\r" 
expect " admin@server1:~$ " 
send " \r" 
send " lsb_release -a "

Error: I get the password prompt but the script isn't passing the password (??)
Code:
admin@server1:~$ expect test.exp
spawn ssh admin@192.168.1.12
admin@192.168.1.12's password:

Normal response/output using "ssh -l" from the cli.
Code:
admin@server1:~$ ssh -l admin 192.168.1.12
admin@192.168.1.12's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64)

... misc output here

*** System restart required ***
Last login: Mon Mar  4 14:40:27 2019 from 192.168.1.10
admin@server1:~$

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, AND code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-04-2019 at 09:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password changing in a Script (shell and expect)

Hi, Does anybody know how to change the password on multiple servers with a script. I have 300 Sun boxes and the password expiry is set to 30 days. Im in a process to build a script using expect. Need a help from an expert who has already done it. Regards, Vinod (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chellam
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script....encrypt password and use

Could someone please help me...I have an expect script. There's a need for a log in during the script and a password is required...right now the password is just a variable in the expect script...what would be the best way to put that in an encrypted flat file and have the expect script pull the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Encrypt the password ,source it in a expect script...!!

Hello folks I have a conf file ,say 'pass.conf' ,which is storing ascii password : PASS1111. I need to encrypt this password once and store it in a file. I ,then need to write a script which would read this encrypted password and decrypts it.The o/p o this script shud be this decrypted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script sending password with $ and symbols

All, I am trying to use expect to send SFTP password because I am unable to share a key with the vendor. They gave me a password that uses some symbols in it like $ and ! When i try to use the send command in expect it thinks the $ is a variable. Is there anyway to have it send the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Password to SSH without using expect in a Script

How can I pass password in SSH command without using expect in a shell program. I don't have expect installed on my Solaris server. #!/bin/bash ssh user@hotname (how to supply pass in script?:wall:) Experts please help its very urgent. Shrawan Kumar Sahu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss135r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble passing commands with expect

Hello All, I hope someone could help me with this. I'm creating a shell script to run a process. The trouble is, part of the process has to be ran as a different user. I can 'su' to the user ok, but I'm having trouble passing a 'cd' command as well as some variables I set earlier in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP or scp with password in a batch script without using SSH keys and expect script

Dear All, I have a requirement where I have to SFTP or SCP a file in a batch script. Unfortunately, the destination server setup is such that it doesn't allow for shell command line login. So, I am not able to set up SSH keys. My source server is having issues with Expect. So, unable to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute commands on remote server using expect script?

I need to copy python script file to around 100 servers using expect script. 1. Copy script to my user home first(/home/myhome) on each remote server 2. change permissions on copied file to 766. 3. sudo to appuser1 account on remote server. copy script file from my user home to /usr/bin/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
1 Replies
shares-admin(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   shares-admin(1)

NAME
shares-admin - Shared Folders Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
shares-admin [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
shares-admin is part of the GNOME system tools, a set of tools to easily access and manage system configuration. shares-admin allows you to share folders to other computers in your network or in the internet. OPTIONS
shares-admin accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
shares-admin was written by Carlos Garnacho Parro <garnacho@tuxerver.net> and others. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
services-admin(1), network-admin(1), time-admin(1), users-admin(1), gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-05-08 shares-admin(1)