Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove linked file
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Remove linked file Post 303029861 by Neo on Saturday 2nd of February 2019 01:49:08 AM
Old 02-02-2019
Are you talking about a hard link or a soft (symbolic) link?

OBTW, please search the forums before asking questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically linked file

Hi friends , how do i view a dynamically linked file in unix ? its there on other system and do i have to ftp it in ASCII format or binary ? and after the ftp how do i view it ? thanks in advance veeras (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dynamically linked file

Hi friends, i have a dynamically linked file on my solaris system.this is script that runs regularly. How can i read the contents of that ? when i tried to say "vi filename " then it says executable and nothing is seen. Please help. thanks in advance Veera (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way to see what and who is linked to file?

Hello like the topic says... thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wrongly linked my new file ..

Hi All, I was trying to point /unix-> new unix kernel ( unix_64_A ).. but instead by mistakenly i did the other way ..my new unix ( unix_64_A -> /unix ) ?? .. unfortunately i have only one copy of unix_64_A ..is there any way to solve this problem ..please help me asap . Thanks Vamshi. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddaonline
4 Replies

5. Linux

reg-linked file

How to check this linked path, and the folder what is contains.. as i am new to linux, pls assist me lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jun 24 2008 mail -> spool/mail/ Thanks in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kurva
1 Replies

6. SCO

SCO linked libraries

How do i get the list of linked libraries in a built binaries on SCO UNIX. I appreciate your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: param_it
1 Replies

7. Programming

Help with linked list in C

i have this code typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; struct client_list * next; int client_socket_fd; } client; client *current, *head; head = NULL; char *h="test"; add_client(current, h, head, &client_socket_fd); ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
24 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linked Servers

Hi, We have 2 UNIX Servers, say test1 and test2. Here, if I create a file or folder/delete a file or folder in the 1st server, it gets reflected automatically in the 2nd server. I don't think any links are established between these 2 servers. Both these have 2 different hostnames. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

9. Programming

Help with linked list.

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> struct LinkedList { int val; struct LinkedList *next; }node; /*Creating a structure variable*/ typedef struct LinkedList Node; Node *start = NULL; int create(int i) { Node *temp = NULL; if (start == NULL) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prinsh
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a dynamically linked executable file?

So I have a file called queens.cc and I need to do the following: Compile and make a .o file while specifying that the compiler is to search /student/214/include for system include files. Use g++, link and load .o file to make a dynamically linked executable file called queens and to also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
1 Replies
symlink(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							symlink(4)

NAME
symlink - symbolic link DESCRIPTION
A symbolic (or soft ) link is a file whose name indirectly refers (points) to a relative or absolute path name. During path name interpretation, a symbolic link to a relative path name is expanded to the path name being interpreted, and a symbolic link to an absolute path name is replaced with the path name being interpreted. Thus, given the path name If is a symbolic link to a relative path name such as the path name is interpreted as If is a symbolic link to an absolute path name such as the path name is interpreted as All symbolic links are interpreted in this manner, with one exception: when the symbolic link is the last component of a path name, it is passed as a parameter to one of the system calls: or (see readlink(2), rename(2), symlink(2), unlink(2), chown(2) and lstat(2)). With these calls, the symbolic link, itself, is accessed or affected. Unlike normal (hard) links, a symbolic link can refer to any arbitrary path name and can span different logical devices (volumes). The path name can be that of any type of file (including a directory or another symbolic link), and may be invalid if no such path exists in the system. (It is possible to make symbolic links point to themselves or other symbolic links in such a way that they form a closed loop. The system detects this situation by limiting the number of symbolic links it traverses while translating a path name.) The mode and ownership of a symbolic link is ignored by the system, which means that affects the actual file, but not the file containing the symbolic link (see chmod(1)). Symbolic links can be created using or (see ln(1) and symlink(2)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
cp(1), symlink(2), readlink(2), link(2), stat(2), mknod(1M). symlink(4)