Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Need Hardware help on a RP4440 that lost the RTC and does not see both hard drives Post 303029741 by vbe on Thursday 31st of January 2019 01:18:51 PM
Old 01-31-2019
ioscan ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard drives

Will some one tell me what this means. "warning: ida 0 <slot 6> : command timed out on dev 1/42 blk 4824290 logical unit=0 blocks=5512102, size 2, cmd=0x20." I'm running SCO 505 on a proliant 1600r. Thnank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franruiz
3 Replies

2. Linux

No Hard Drives Have Been Found

I am using an Acer Aspire 4720Z with two partitions C and D. Windows is installed on C and I decided to install Red Hat Linux 9 in partition D. The two partitions are in NTFS file system. During my installation of the the Linux, a prompt was displayed on screen with the message: "No hard drives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamcomng
2 Replies

3. Solaris

formating and repartitioning an external hard drives

Version: solaris 10 x86 I just got a western digital external harddrive formated with fat 32. this drive came with some setup files which is meant for windows or mac. I want to reformat and partition this drive into two ( for solaris and windows) such that the setup files will still be there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

4. Linux

Is my data lost? Installed Linux, no longer can I access my hard drives.

Here's the story - I installed Linux on my Y drive, and all went well until I tried to boot into XP again. I can't access or install an operating system to my other three hard drives, C, X, and Z. I think that during the install my hard drives were changed to something other then NTFS, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironkey
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help adding new hard drives

Folks; I just added 2 physical new hard drives to my SUSE server. My server is already running SUSE 10.3 version. Is there a command i can use to add the new space or even see if the system can sees them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Reinstall old hard drives

I have a T2000 Sun-Fire server. I have 2 sets of drives in a raid 1. Lets call them Set A and Set B. I had Set A installed and working. I needed a new install so I so build up Set B. After some time I wanted to put Set A back in the server. Now the system will not boot off of Set A. I tried to boot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stu1811
7 Replies

7. Hardware

Hard Drives and MBR

Hello everyone. I have a question which I may know the answer to, I'm just looking for a confirmation. When it comes to the MBR of a hard drive, i've read in multiple sources that it's always located in the first sector of the hard drive. Is the MBR there from the factory? When I buy a new blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Trying to boot Solaris without hard drives in T5220

I have three Sun Oracle Netra T5220s. I am trying to just get the processor information psrinfo or prtdiag -v from the # prompt in single user mode. I am needing to know the commands to get to boot the CD/DVD of the Solaris OS. I am using it via Serial Port Management. Tinkering around I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdboy
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Accessing Hard Drives

Hi, I have two SCSI Hard Drives in a Sun Solaris 8 server as shown below. I would like to access Disk1 and look at its contents, directory structure and files. How do I change my default directory from Disk 0 to Disk 1 and vice versa? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Understanding volumes and hard drives

Ok so i thought i was smart but i can tell I need some help. I am playing around with understanding lvm and adding disks to a linux box. I added a disk and then ran what i thought were commands to add this disk to the box but I think I messed up and would like some help. My question is did i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cptkirkh
5 Replies
insf(1M)																  insf(1M)

NAME
insf - install special (device) files SYNOPSIS
class | driver] directory] hw-path] instance] npty] nstrpty] DESCRIPTION
The command installs special files in the devices directory, normally If required, creates any subdirectories that are defined for the resulting special file. Both the legacy and persistent device special files (see intro(7)) are created, unless specified. If no options are specified, special files are created for all new devices in the system. New devices are those devices for which no spe- cial files have been previously created. A subset of the new devices can be selected with the and options. With the option, reinstalls the special files for pseudo-drivers and existing devices. This is useful for restoring special files when one or more have been removed. Normally, displays a message as the special files are installed for each driver. The (quiet) option suppresses the installation message. The (verbose) option displays the installation message and the name of each special file as it is created. With the option, enables the legacy naming model. If the option is included, also displays the current mode, legacy, or agile without changing the current mode. Options recognizes the following options. Match devices that belong to a given device class, class. Device classes can be listed with the command (see lsdev(1M)). The special class includes all pseudo-driv- ers. This option cannot be used with Match devices that are controlled by the specified device driver, driver. Device drivers can be listed with the command (see lsdev(1M)). This option cannot be used with Override the default device installation directory and install the special files in directory instead. directory must exist; otherwise, displays an error message and exits. See Reinstall the special files for pseudo-drivers and existing devices. This is useful for restoring special files if one or more have been removed. Match devices at a given hardware path, hw-path. Hardware paths can be listed with the command (see ioscan(1M)). A hardware path specifies the addresses of the hardware components leading to a device. It consists of a string of numbers separated by periods such as (a card), (a target address), and (a device). If a hardware component is a bus converter, the following period, if any, is replaced by a slash as in and If the specified path contains fewer numbers than are necessary to reach a device, special files are made for all devices at addresses that extend the given path. If the specified path is then special files are made for the devices at addresses etc. In the agile view (see intro(7)), the devices will have new hardware path formats, which can be displayed using the command with option (see ioscan(1M)). Match a device with the specified instance number. Instances can be listed with the option of the command (see ioscan(1M)). This option is effective only if the option is specified or if an appropriate device class or driver is specified with a or option. Enable the legacy naming model. This command reinstalls the legacy I/O nodes and legacy device special files which might have been removed with (see rmsf(1M)). When used with the option, reports on whether legacy mode is enabled or disabled. Install npty special files for each specified and driver. The driver specifies both the and drivers. npty is a decimal num- ber. This option is effective only if the option is specified or if an appropriate device class or driver is specified with a or option. If this option is omitted, npty defaults to 60 for the and drivers. Quiet option. Normally, displays a message as each driver is processed. This option suppresses the driver message, but not error messages. See the option. Install nstrpty slave-side stream special files for the driver. nstrpty is a decimal number. This option only applies to the special file installation. This option is effective only if the option is specified or if an appropriate device class or driver is specified with a or option. If this option is omitted, nstrpty defaults to 60. Verbose option. In addition to the normal processing message, display the name of each special file as it is created. See the option. Naming Conventions Some special files follow a naming convention, where class is the driver class, and instance is the instance number assigned by the operat- ing system to the device. Many other special files are named using the naming convention. These variables have the following meaning wherever they are used. card The unique interface card identification number from (see ioscan(1M)). It is represented as a decimal number. target The device target number, for example the address on a HP-FL or SCSI bus. It is represented as a decimal number with a typical range of 0 to 15. device A address unit within a device, for example, the unit in a HP-FL device or the LUN in a SCSI device. It is represented as a decimal number with a typical range of 0 to 15. Special Files This subsection shows which special files are created and the permissions for each of the supported device drivers. The special file names are relative to the installation directory, normally This directory may be overridden with the option. sets the file permissions and the owner and group IDs. They are shown here in a format similar to that of the command: special-file permissions owner group For example: The following special file is installed: For the built-in serial port, the following special files are installed for each card instance: Direct connect For the SAS console ports, the following special files are installed for each card instance: local console port (direct connect) remote session port (direct connect) internal console port (direct connect) UPS port (direct connect) local session port (direct connect) The following special files are installed: The following special files are installed. Note the underscore before card in each special file name. For card 0, the device files are linked to files without the trailing in their names. Default audio device Audio control device All outputs, A-law format All outputs, 16-bit linear format All outputs, Mu-law format External output, A-law format External output, 16-bit linear format External output, Mu-law format Internal speaker output, A-law format Internal speaker output, 16-bit linear format Internal speaker output, Mu-law format Line output, A-law format Line output, 16 bit linear format Line output, Mu-law format No output, A-law format No output, 16 bit linear format No output, Mu-law format The following special file is installed: For each card instance, the following special file is installed. Handshake mode 2, character entry For each card instance, the following special files are installed: Direct connect The following special files are installed: The following persistent special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special files are installed: For each disk device, the following special files are installed: Block entry Character entry For disc3 instances, the following additional special files are installed: Block entry Character entry For disk instances that are partitioned, the following additional special files are installed: Block entry Character entry The following special files are installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following persistent special file is installed: The following persistent special file is installed: For each driver instances of the following persistent special files are installed: Block entry Character entry For disk instances that are partitioned, the following additional persistent special files are installed: Block entry Character entry For each driver instances of the following persistent special files are installed: Character entry Character entry Character entry Character entry The following special file is installed: For each graphics device, the following special files are installed. device_number is 0 indexed and is assigned in the order in which the devices appear in output. If the console device is a graphics device, the files and are created as the console device. If the console is not a graphics device, and are identical to and For each device, the following special files are installed. Note the underscore before card in each special file name. For card 0, the device files are linked to files named for the link addresses 1 to 7; for the cooked keyboard device; and for the controller device. addr: link addresses to The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: For each card instance, the following special files are installed: For each card instance, the following special files are installed: Normal access Exclusive access For each card instance, the following special files are installed: The following special files are installed: Minor Minor Minor The following persistent special files are installed: For each instance of a 6-channel card, the following special files are installed: port: to direct connect For each instance of a 16-channel card, the following special files are installed: port: to direct connect For each instance of an 16-channel card, the following special files are installed: port: to direct connect For each card instance of an 8-channel card, the following special files are installed: port: to direct connect For each card instance of an 3-channel card, the following special files are installed: port: and direct connect For each card instance, the following special files are installed: port: and direct connect The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: For each instance of a PCI mux card, the following "Direct Connect" special files are created. The term card below refers to the instance number of the mux card. port_module: to port module name port: to port number For each card instance, the following special files are installed: Block entry Character entry The following special files are installed: Autosearch for first ps2 keyboard Autosearch for first ps2 mouse ps2 port 0 ps2 port 1 The following special file is installed: The following special files are installed: number: to Specifying this driver tells to install the special files for both the master and slave pty drivers, and The command is equivalent to the two commands and The following special files are installed: index: to to to number: to (hexadecimal) The first 48 special files are linked to index: to to to number: to index: to to to number: to The following special files are installed: index: to to to number: to (hexadecimal) The first 48 special files are linked to index: to to to number: to index: to to to number: to The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special files are installed: The following special file is installed: For each card instance, the following special files are installed: port: to direct connect Special file names for use the format: For each autochanger device, the following special file is installed: Character entry The following special files are installed: Character entry See See The following persistent special file is installed: For each driver instance, different special files are installed depending on the number of characters allowed in the target directory. There are two lists below, one for long file name directo- ries and one for short file name directories (14 characters maximum). Note that the first four special files in each list for tape driver instances 0-9 are also linked to and respectively. For installation in a long file name directory: AT&T-style, best available density, character entry Berkeley-style, best available density, character entry AT&T-style, no rewind, best available density, character entry Berkeley-style, no rewind, best available density, character entry For installation in a short file name directory: AT&T-style, best available density, character entry Berkeley-style, best available density, character entry AT&T-style, no rewind, best available density, character entry Berkeley-style, no rewind, best available density, character entry For both long and short file name directories, the following additional files are created. Tape configuration, character entry For only, diagnostic access, character entry The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: See The following special file is installed: The following persistent special files are installed: The following special file is installed: The following special files are installed: number: to The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: The following special file is installed: RETURN VALUE exits with one of the following values: Successful completion, including warning diagnostics. Failure. DIAGNOSTICS
Most diagnostic messages from are self-explanatory. Listed below are some messages deserving further clarification. Warnings The indicated device driver or device class is not present in the kernel. A device driver and/or device class can be added to the kernel using All of the instance numbers available for the device class are already assigned. Use the command to remove any unneeded devices from the system (see rmsf(1M)). does not know how to create special files for the specified device driver. Use to create special files for the device (see mknod(1M)). EXAMPLES
Install special files for all new devices belonging to the device class claimed by driver: Install special files to the new device added at hardware path Install persistent special files to the new device added at the hardware path Reinstall persistent special files for all the devices belonging to the device driver: Enable legacy mode (reinstalls all legacy I/O nodes and legacy device special files): Find out if legacy mode is enabled or disabled: WARNINGS
can change the mode, owner, or group of an existing special file, or unlink and recreate one; special files that are currently open may be left in an indeterminate state. Hence is recommended to be run in single-user mode. Many commands and subsystems assume their device files are in therefore the use of the option is discouraged. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
I/O system special file I/O system configuration database I/O system configuration database SEE ALSO
ioscan(1M), kcmodule(1M), lsdev(1M), lssf(1M), mknod(1M), mksf(1M), rmsf(1M), intro(7). insf(1M)