Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to manually -re-attach AIX lv's to a mirror? Post 303029527 by mrmurdock on Monday 28th of January 2019 10:17:15 AM
Old 01-28-2019
Initially the mirror was successfully initiated and all the other volumes became mirrored and sync'd. it attached hd2 and was in process of syncing then during the sync it hit a bad sector (sector sparing failed on the hard disk) on the original disk. IBM is saying the VGDA is messed up on the original disk for whatever reason. They are rebuilding the hdisk1 vgda and hopefully this will get the hd2 in sync. One thing that surprises me is hd2 is now reporting open/sync whereas before it is was open/stale before IBM is rebuilding the vgda. Can lvm lie to me? IBM did a vgda map of hdisk1 with dd.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Mirror State AIX

Hello, how can i see easily the state of a mirrored disk on a AIX 4.3.3. I try followed command: lslv -m >lvname> but for me is not enough information. thanx in advance fenomen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fenomen
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

3. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

4. AIX

AIX Rootvg mirror and sysdumplv

Guys, In my AIX 6.1 box the rootvg was on hdisk2, I tried to migrated it to hdisk0 Added hisk0 to rootvg , mirrored rootvg and changed bootlist and and sucessfully rebooted from hdisk0 Now I tried to remove the hdisk2 from rootvg so breaked mirror -bash-3.00# unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

5. AIX

Attach HP EVA to IBM AIX powerpc singlepath

Dear all. We have a very big issue on Attach HP EVA to IBM AIX powerpc singlepath. the configurations on lscfg -vl fcs2 fcs2 U789C.001.DQD8D74-P1-C2-T1 4Gb FC PCI Express Adapter (df1000fe) Part Number.................10N7249 Serial... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juri_al
3 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

8. AIX

AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello, aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshapiro
6 Replies

9. AIX

AIX hdisk Mirror vs alt_clone

Hello, I have two hdisk in Power7 machine, the rootvg on hdisk0. So to make a disk redundancy should make mirror or alt_clone and what is the different. Appreciate your help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moudmm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

AIX - mirror a jfs2log

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirroring. I accidentally created logical volume cpsabcd2lv with external jfs2log loglv00 in the same volume group cpsdata2vg. Then I mirrored LV cpsabcd2lv on the second LUN in VG cpsdata2vg. My journal is unmirrored and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
0 Replies
GMIRROR(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						GMIRROR(8)

NAME
gmirror -- control utility for mirrored devices SYNOPSIS
gmirror label [-Fhnv] [-b balance] [-s slice] name prov ... gmirror clear [-v] prov ... gmirror configure [-adfFhnv] [-b balance] [-s slice] name gmirror configure [-v] -p priority name prov gmirror rebuild [-v] name prov ... gmirror resize [-v] [-s size] name gmirror insert [-hiv] [-p priority] name prov ... gmirror remove [-v] name prov ... gmirror activate [-v] name prov ... gmirror deactivate [-v] name prov ... gmirror destroy [-fv] name ... gmirror forget [-v] name ... gmirror stop [-fv] name ... gmirror dump prov ... gmirror list gmirror status gmirror load gmirror unload DESCRIPTION
The gmirror utility is used for mirror (RAID1) configurations. After a mirror's creation, all components are detected and configured auto- matically. All operations like failure detection, stale component detection, rebuild of stale components, etc. are also done automatically. The gmirror utility uses on-disk metadata (stored in the provider's last sector) to store all needed information. Since the last sector is used for this purpose, it is possible to place a root file system on a mirror. The first argument to gmirror indicates an action to be performed: label Create a mirror. The order of components is important, because a component's priority is based on its position (starting from 0 to 255). The component with the biggest priority is used by the prefer balance algorithm and is also used as a master component when resynchronization is needed, e.g. after a power failure when the device was open for writing. Additional options include: -b balance Specifies balance algorithm to use, one of: load Read from the component with the lowest load. This is the default balance algorithm. prefer Read from the component with the biggest priority. round-robin Use round-robin algorithm when choosing component to read. split Split read requests, which are bigger than or equal to slice size on N pieces, where N is the number of active components. -F Do not synchronize after a power failure or system crash. Assumes device is in consistent state. -h Hardcode providers' names in metadata. -n Turn off autosynchronization of stale components. -s slice When using the split balance algorithm and an I/O READ request is bigger than or equal to this value, the I/O request will be split into N pieces, where N is the number of active components. Defaults to 4096 bytes. clear Clear metadata on the given providers. configure Configure the given device. Additional options include: -a Turn on autosynchronization of stale components. -b balance Specifies balance algorithm to use. -d Do not hardcode providers' names in metadata. -f Synchronize device after a power failure or system crash. -F Do not synchronize after a power failure or system crash. Assumes device is in consistent state. -h Hardcode providers' names in metadata. -n Turn off autosynchronization of stale components. -p priority Specifies priority for the given component prov. -s slice Specifies slice size for split balance algorithm. rebuild Rebuild the given mirror components forcibly. If autosynchronization was not turned off for the given device, this command should be unnecessary. resize Change the size of the given mirror. Additional options include: -s size New size of the mirror is expressed in logical block numbers. This option can be omitted, then it will be automatically calculated to maximum available size. insert Add the given component(s) to the existing mirror. Additional options include: -h Hardcode providers' names in metadata. -i Mark component(s) as inactive immediately after insertion. -p priority Specifies priority of the given component(s). remove Remove the given component(s) from the mirror and clear metadata on it. activate Activate the given component(s), which were marked as inactive before. deactivate Mark the given component(s) as inactive, so it will not be automatically connected to the mirror. destroy Stop the given mirror and clear metadata on all its components. Additional options include: -f Stop the given mirror even if it is opened. forget Forget about components which are not connected. This command is useful when a disk has failed and cannot be reconnected, pre- venting the remove command from being used to remove it. stop Stop the given mirror. Additional options include: -f Stop the given mirror even if it is opened. dump Dump metadata stored on the given providers. list See geom(8). status See geom(8). load See geom(8). unload See geom(8). Additional options include: -v Be more verbose. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 on success, and 1 if the command fails. EXAMPLES
Use 3 disks to setup a mirror. Choose split balance algorithm, split only requests which are bigger than or equal to 2kB. Create file sys- tem, mount it, then unmount it and stop device: gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 data da0 da1 da2 newfs /dev/mirror/data mount /dev/mirror/data /mnt ... umount /mnt gmirror stop data gmirror unload Create a mirror on disk with valid data (note that the last sector of the disk will be overwritten). Add another disk to this mirror, so it will be synchronized with existing disk: gmirror label -v -b round-robin data da0 gmirror insert data da1 Create a mirror, but do not use automatic synchronization feature. Add another disk and rebuild it: gmirror label -v -n -b load data da0 da1 gmirror insert data da2 gmirror rebuild data da2 One disk failed. Replace it with a brand new one: gmirror forget data gmirror insert data da1 Create a mirror, deactivate one component, do the backup and connect it again. It will not be resynchronized, if there is no need to do so (there were no writes in the meantime): gmirror label data da0 da1 gmirror deactivate data da1 dd if=/dev/da1 of=/backup/data.img bs=1m gmirror activate data da1 NOTES
Doing kernel dumps to gmirror providers is possible, but some conditions have to be met. First of all, a kernel dump will go only to one component and gmirror always chooses the component with the highest priority. Reading a dump from the mirror on boot will only work if the prefer balance algorithm is used (that way gmirror will read only from the component with the highest priority). If you use a different bal- ance algorithm, you should add: gmirror configure -b prefer data to the /etc/rc.early script and: gmirror configure -b round-robin data to the /etc/rc.local script. The decision which component to choose for dumping is made when dumpon(8) is called. If on the next boot a component with a higher priority will be available, the prefer algorithm will choose to read from it and savecore(8) will find nothing. If on the next boot a component with the highest priority will be synchronized, the prefer balance algorithm will read from the next one, thus will find nothing there. SEE ALSO
geom(4), dumpon(8), geom(8), gvinum(8), mount(8), newfs(8), savecore(8), umount(8) HISTORY
The gmirror utility appeared in FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
There should be a way to change a component's priority inside a running mirror. There should be a section with an implementation description. Documentation for sysctls kern.geom.mirror.* is missing. BSD
December 27, 2013 BSD