Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris EFI disk labeling / understand the parition table / sectors not continue Post 303028887 by javanoob on Thursday 17th of January 2019 11:59:59 AM
Old 01-17-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
You didn't lose anything.

Disk vendors report capacities in decimal units while format/fdisk still use binary units.

(12502430343-40)*512 = 6401244315136 bytes = 6.4 TB = 6401244315136/(1024*1024*1024*1024) = 5.821 TiB

Thanks jlliagre.

And i shouldn't be overly concern about how the sectors add up ?

e.g. part0 last sector and part8 first sector has a gap of 8 sectors ...
part0 1st sector 0 to last sector 12502430343 > total disk sectors available

part0 sector40 to last sector 12502430343 < total disk sectors available (missing 14 sectors) etc..

Regards,
Noob

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Automatic disk labeling

First post :) ... Here is a script for automatic labeling of previously unlabeled disks. Other methods exist (format -f cmd_file), but I like this because it's all in one place. #!/bin/ksh #---------------------- # format_label # Automatic labeling of previously unlabeled disks #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwachtler
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCSI disk spare sectors

Is there a way to determine the number of available spare sectors on a disk ? as it may be useful for notifying a user to take a backup of the disk before it runs into a medium error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rednex
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - understand process status and continue the code execution

Hello, I need advice on how to check if started processes are finished in perl, here's explanation : OS is RHEL 4, perl -v = "This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi" The logic of the script : #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; $param1 = $ARGV; $param2 = $ARGV; $param3 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysgate
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Smartmontools and fixing Unreadable Disk Sectors

I found a document: Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools My hard drive is Maxtor: root]# fdisk -lu /dev/hda Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x3f4e3f4d ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinian
0 Replies

5. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

read sectors from disk failed with timeout

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wljackhero
0 Replies

7. Linux

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

0 Replies
efi_mkdir(1M)															     efi_mkdir(1M)

NAME
efi_mkdir - make an EFI directory SYNOPSIS
devicefile] dirname DESCRIPTION
makes an EFI directory. The EFI file system is based on the FAT file system and used by the Itanium-based system BIOS to locate an HP-UX bootloader. See efi(4). creates directory dirname in the EFI volume specified by devicefile. If dirname already exists, exits with a diagnostic message, and the directory is not changed. If more than one subdirectory needs to be created to make dirname, exits with a diagnostic message and the directory is not changed, unless the option is specified. dirname should be relative to the root of the EFI volume specified by device- file, not to an HP-UX file system. Options Options can be used singly or combined in any order before the file names. The space between option and argument is optional. devicefile is the device special file of the EFI file system where the directory is to be made. Without the option, uses the device file specified in the environment variable if it is defined. The option overrides the environment variable. Create intermediate directories as necessary. RETURN VALUE
returns exit code 0 if the directory is made successfully. Otherwise it prints a diagnostic message and returns nonzero. 0 Successful completion. >0 Error condition occurred. EXAMPLES
Create directory in device file which contains an EFI file system: Create a directory in device file which contains an EFI file system, when does not exist yet: Create a directory in persistent device file (see intro(7)), which contains an EFI file system, when does not exist yet: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
efi_cp(1M), efi_fsinit(1M), efi_ls(1M), efi_rm(1M), efi_rmdir(1M), efi(4), intro(7). Itanium(R)-based Systems Only efi_mkdir(1M)