Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Status of Badging System - Beta 1 Post 303028693 by Neo on Saturday 12th of January 2019 10:07:31 PM
Old 01-12-2019
TODO Idea:
  • Create database table and upload user "new badge" messages to the DB.
  • Create a page which updates in near real-time when users are issued new badges.
  • Create a filter selection on that page where the badge-alerts can be filtered based on status, user group id, registration time, etc.

This kind of a page will useful for both moderators and members a large.

However, this kind of page will be a specific page application, so the updates will only be seen when viewing that page, not just popping up when unwanted. Having this on a single, app-specific page will keep this from being annoying or intrusive.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

system status report script

hi i m new to this forum as well as UNIX. I've got an assignment but i don't know how can I start it. can anyone please help to tell me how can I start it? I added here few lines from my assignment. In industry, it is common for a single organisation to provide technical support for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

System status query script

Hi, I am trying to access and read certain lines from a configuration XML file on multiple servers (within the LAN). Fortunately the file name and path is always the same for all servers. An example extract of the file is as follows: <DUMMY-SMSC>false</DUMMY-SMSC> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaz8212
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Listing Live System Status

1. Edit a script named update.sh that generates status.html in your web directory: ~/public_html/. I need to write specific commands to show each specific item 2. The generated webpage should include information related to: UNIX : kernel version of ed-lab server USER : number of users on the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: devinj
13 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

New Badging System - Badges Prototype Beta 1 (Badges Only)

Today I mapped out the new badging system using FA icons, Beta 1 in no particular order except a 6 x 8 grid: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture991.png The prototype HTML code for this layout: <style> .fa-badge-grid { font-size: 1.5em; } .row { ... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
38 Replies

5. Web Development

Notes with Ravinder on Badging System Development Part II

Part II: Current PHP file Beta 73 Not Optimized: <?php $version = 73; $query = "SELECT * FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user WHERE userid='" . $uid . "'"; $usertable = $db->query_read_slave($query); $modaluser = $db->fetch_array($usertable); $modaluser = gmdate("d F Y", $modaluser); $modaluser... (48 Replies)
48 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Badging System: UNIX.COM Bug Hunter Badge (New)

I have moved the bug badge out of reserve and into the main stream. Basically, I will assign a color level like the others, based on who has made a good actionable bug report for UNIX.COM. "Good" means screenshots, links, and even details from web dev tools our the HTML source code. So far,... (0 Replies)
0 Replies
MKPROTO(8)						      System Manager's Manual							MKPROTO(8)

NAME
mkproto - construct a prototype file system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkproto special proto DESCRIPTION
Mkproto is used to bootstrap a new file system. First a new file system is created using newfs(8). Mkproto is then used to copy files from the old file system into the new file system according to the directions found in the prototype file proto. The prototype file con- tains tokens separated by spaces or new lines. The first tokens comprise the specification for the root directory. File specifications consist of tokens giving the mode, the user-id, the group id, and the initial contents of the file. The syntax of the contents field depends on the mode. The mode token for a file is a 6 character string. The first character specifies the type of the file. (The characters -bcd specify regu- lar, block special, character special and directory files respectively.) The second character of the type is either u or - to specify set- user-id mode or not. The third is g or - for the set-group-id mode. The rest of the mode is a three digit octal number giving the owner, group, and other read, write, execute permissions, see chmod(1). Two decimal number tokens come after the mode; they specify the user and group ID's of the owner of the file. If the file is a regular file, the next token is a pathname whence the contents and size are copied. If the file is a block or character special file, two decimal number tokens follow which give the major and minor device numbers. If the file is a directory, mkproto makes the entries . and .. and then reads a list of names and (recursively) file specifications for the entries in the directory. The scan is terminated with the token $. A sample prototype specification follows: d--777 3 1 usr d--777 3 1 sh ---755 3 1 /bin/sh ken d--755 6 1 $ b0 b--644 3 1 0 0 c0 c--644 3 1 0 0 $ $ SEE ALSO
fs(5), dir(5), fsck(8), newfs(8) BUGS
There should be some way to specify links. There should be some way to specify bad blocks. Mkproto can only be run on virgin file systems. It should be possible to copy files into existent file systems. Mkproto can only copy files up to a single level indirect less 4kb. This works out to about 252Kb 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 MKPROTO(8)