Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cd then mkdir from script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cd then mkdir from script Post 303028483 by wisecracker on Wednesday 9th of January 2019 07:54:20 AM
Old 01-09-2019
I am late into this thread, but why not walk before you can run...
As we have no idea what is in chxdir.sh nor the complete script that calls it we have to make wild guesses...
This is one way to get to change a directory on the fly from one script into another...
This is the script to be sourced, I have used the statement "source" instead of its shortcut "."...
The only proviso is you need to intitally know where both scripts are...
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# chxdir.sh
NEWDIR="$HOME"/Temp
echo "Now inside chxdir.sh..."
echo "Switching to new directory, $NEWDIR in another script..."
# Leave NEWDIR and do other stuff in here...

This is the master script...
Code:
#!/bin/sh
OLDDIR=$( pwd )
NEWDIR=$( pwd )
echo "Old directory, $OLDDIR, new directory $NEWDIR..."
echo "This is a test script..."
echo "Launching chxdir.sh..."
source "$HOME"/Desktop/Code/Shell/chxdir.sh
echo "Now back inside chdirtest.sh..."
cd "$NEWDIR"
echo "Now inside $NEWDIR, $OLDDIR unchanged..."
ls
echo "Now exiting back into the default shell and its current default directory..."

Results of the experiment using OSX 10.14.1, default bash terminal...
Code:
Last login: Wed Jan  9 12:22:30 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> cd Desktop/Code/Shell
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/Shell> chmod 755 chxdir.sh
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/Shell> chmod 755 chdirtest.sh
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/Shell> ./chdirtest.sh
Old directory, /Users/amiga/Desktop/Code/Shell, new directory /Users/amiga/Desktop/Code/Shell...
This is a test script...
Launching chxdir.sh...
Now inside chxdir.sh...
Switching to new directory, /Users/amiga/Temp in another script...
Now back inside chdirtest.sh...
Now inside /Users/amiga/Temp, /Users/amiga/Desktop/Code/Shell unchanged...
0000000000.BIN		dcdata.raw		squarewave.raw
1KHz-Test.sh		pulse1.wav		sweep.raw
Arduino_9600.pde	pulse2.wav		sweep.wav
FFT_WAV.py		pulsetest.sh		sweeper.raw
Untitled.m4a		sample.raw		symmetricalwave.raw
VERT_BAT.BAT		signed16bit.txt		symmetricalwave.wav
VERT_DSP.sh		sinewave.raw		waveform.raw
VERT_SOX.sh		sinewave.wav		waveform.wav
Now exiting back into the default shell and its current default directory...
AMIGA:amiga~/Desktop/Code/Shell> _

Note I have initiated "NEWDIR" on both, not necessary but useful to keep track of used variables...
Now you know that it is possible transfer 'paths' give us your two scripts so that we can peruse them properly, unless you have some ultra-secret code you don't want making public.

Last edited by wisecracker; 01-09-2019 at 09:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mkdir

Hi, I look for a script to create 150 directories : d000 d001 d002 ... ... d149 would you help me please ? I think it would be for i mkdir d$i Many thanks. PS : #uname -a AIX fserver 3 5 0050691A4C00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mkdir

Is there ant way to increase max number of folders in the directory from the 32766: Problem UFS: shell>mkdir mmm mkdir: mmm: Too many links But there are no links, just folders. shell>ls | wc -l 32766 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find jpg's mkdir script help

I am having a problem getting this to work right. The script needs to search through directories and subdirectories. If a jpg is found then create a folder in that directory, so on and so forth. Here is what I have so far but it doesn't work right. Help please #!/bin/bash for d in `find ./... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jedhypes
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Mkdir

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Do the procedure, which if there are 5 parameters then it creates 4 directories with names of 4 parameters, in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bolones
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for mkdir with permissions

Hello, I'm pretty new to scripting and trying to do a simple (well, I thought so) administrator task. I'm using bash. I want to create 10 directories under the one directory and apply permissions at the same time. I've worked out the make directories part: mkdir /userdata/folder{1..50}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimothy007
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir utility

Howdy, Puttering around in unix, and read this in the mkdir man page: "The mkdir utility creates the directories named as operands..." What does this mean, i.e. as operands? Many thanks, DN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danuke
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mkdir

hi linux expert what is a difference between: mkdir test and mkdir ./test and also if ( -e /test ) then and if ( -e ./test ) then thanks in advance Please use icode or code tags next time for your code and data (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003a
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use script to mkdir based on file's data

I have a file with lines like: 111 12 7 111 13 8 112 12 9 115 31 3 120 31 9 123 10 7 125 12 I want to make a script which, split the first column into parts (101-110, 111-120...), and make directories for its part with name (101-110, 111-120...) Also i want in every directory include... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: efsarantis
7 Replies
Shell(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						Shell(3pm)

NAME
Shell - run shell commands transparently within perl SYNOPSIS
use Shell qw(cat ps cp); $passwd = cat('</etc/passwd'); @pslines = ps('-ww'), cp("/etc/passwd", "/tmp/passwd"); # object oriented my $sh = Shell->new; print $sh->ls('-l'); DESCRIPTION
Caveats This package is included as a show case, illustrating a few Perl features. It shouldn't be used for production programs. Although it does provide a simple interface for obtaining the standard output of arbitrary commands, there may be better ways of achieving what you need. Running shell commands while obtaining standard output can be done with the "qx/STRING/" operator, or by calling "open" with a filename expression that ends with "|", giving you the option to process one line at a time. If you don't need to process standard output at all, you might use "system" (in preference of doing a print with the collected standard output). Since Shell.pm and all of the aforementioned techniques use your system's shell to call some local command, none of them is portable across different systems. Note, however, that there are several built in functions and library packages providing portable implementations of functions operating on files, such as: "glob", "link" and "unlink", "mkdir" and "rmdir", "rename", "File::Compare", "File::Copy", "File::Find" etc. Using Shell.pm while importing "foo" creates a subroutine "foo" in the namespace of the importing package. Calling "foo" with arguments "arg1", "arg2",... results in a shell command "foo arg1 arg2...", where the function name and the arguments are joined with a blank. (See the subsection on Escaping magic characters.) Since the result is essentially a command line to be passed to the shell, your notion of arguments to the Perl function is not necessarily identical to what the shell treats as a command line token, to be passed as an individual argument to the program. Furthermore, note that this implies that "foo" is callable by file name only, which frequently depends on the setting of the program's environment. Creating a Shell object gives you the opportunity to call any command in the usual OO notation without requiring you to announce it in the "use Shell" statement. Don't assume any additional semantics being associated with a Shell object: in no way is it similar to a shell process with its environment or current working directory or any other setting. Escaping Magic Characters It is, in general, impossible to take care of quoting the shell's magic characters. For some obscure reason, however, Shell.pm quotes apostrophes ("'") and backslashes ("") on UNIX, and spaces and quotes (""") on Windows. Configuration If you set $Shell::capture_stderr to 1, the module will attempt to capture the standard error output of the process as well. This is done by adding "2>&1" to the command line, so don't try this on a system not supporting this redirection. Setting $Shell::capture_stderr to -1 will send standard error to the bit bucket (i.e., the equivalent of adding "2>/dev/null" to the command line). The same caveat regarding redirection applies. If you set $Shell::raw to true no quoting whatsoever is done. BUGS
Quoting should be off by default. It isn't possible to call shell built in commands, but it can be done by using a workaround, e.g. shell( '-c', 'set' ). Capturing standard error does not work on some systems (e.g. VMS). AUTHOR
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:18:16 -0700 Message-Id: <9409222318.AA17072@scalpel.netlabs.com> To: perl5-porters@isu.edu From: Larry Wall <lwall@scalpel.netlabs.com> Subject: a new module I just wrote Here's one that'll whack your mind a little out. #!/usr/bin/perl use Shell; $foo = echo("howdy", "<funny>", "world"); print $foo; $passwd = cat("</etc/passwd"); print $passwd; sub ps; print ps -ww; cp("/etc/passwd", "/etc/passwd.orig"); That's maybe too gonzo. It actually exports an AUTOLOAD to the current package (and uncovered a bug in Beta 3, by the way). Maybe the usual usage should be use Shell qw(echo cat ps cp); Larry Wall Changes by Jenda@Krynicky.cz and Dave Cottle <d.cottle@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>. Changes for OO syntax and bug fixes by Casey West <casey@geeknest.com>. $Shell::raw and pod rewrite by Wolfgang Laun. Rewritten to use closures rather than "eval "string"" by Adriano Ferreira. perl v5.12.1 2010-05-13 Shell(3pm)