Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to add 'color' in a grep? Post 303028478 by gull04 on Wednesday 9th of January 2019 05:21:07 AM
Old 01-09-2019
Hi Guys,

Just for reference, here is a little shell script that I sometimes use to check whats available if I want to use colo(u)r.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
##################################################################################
#
# Test script to show the available colours on a monitor, this allows the generation
# of highlighted output from ordinary shell scripts - to be integrated with the
# logger shell to make pretty output.
#
##################################################################################

T='XXX'   # The test text

echo -e "\n                 40m     41m     42m     43m\
     44m     45m     46m     47m";

for FGs in '    m' '   1m' '  30m' '1;30m' '  31m' '1;31m' '  32m' \
           '1;32m' '  33m' '1;33m' '  34m' '1;34m' '  35m' '1;35m' \
           '  36m' '1;36m' '  37m' '1;37m';
  do FG=${FGs// /}
  echo -en " $FGs \033[$FG  $T  "
  for BG in 40m 41m 42m 43m 44m 45m 46m 47m;
    do echo -en "$EINS \033[$FG\033[$BG  $T  \033[0m";
  done
  echo;
done

Feel free to use;

Regards

Gull04
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

color highlighting with 'more','grep' and 'vi'

Hi all, i would to find out how can i turn on color hightlighting with the 'more' command. When i view a big file, i tend to use the 'more' command and i would search for a interested string with the '/' command. Something the search returns more than 1 line found on the screen, how can i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep ruins color

When I run: git branch -a I git a nice green and red colored output, but if I pipe the above command through grep: git branch -a | grep -v "master" I lose my colored output. Is there a way around this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blasto333
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add color in CSV cells

hi, i have text file that file contains below information. Name,Roll,Mark,Total Sivasankar,2120,89,410 Raja,2212,87,425 i need to convert text file to CSV file also the heading(Name,Roll,Mark,Total) font should be BOLD and color should be RED. how can i set fonts in csv (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add '--color' with pipes?

Hi guys - I was wondering if there is a way to add 'color' to a grep I do like this below: fgrep -i "XYZ-1124354-P" mylog.log | tr "\001" " " | sed G (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Color To html Doc

I have a script which converts a .csv file to html nicely. Trying to add 3 colors, green, yellow and red to the output depending upon the values in the cells. Tried some printf command but just can't seem to get any where. Any ideas would be appreciated. nawk 'BEGIN{ FS="," print ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)