Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware Post 303027931 by dkmartin on Friday 28th of December 2018 09:44:24 AM
Old 12-28-2018
I want to make sure I'm understanding the configuration advice I've been given. Create one large LUN. Say 1 tb, for example, on the SAN side. Map that lun to the VMhost. Allocate say 600 gb to my oracle db server. The linux server should now see a /dev/sda at 600 gb?
Take that /dev/sda and partition it out into separate drives /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2.... Once that is complete I create separate volume groups and assign as many of the disks as needed per volume group?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

SAN Storage to solaris 10 server

Hi, I have configured our SAN Storage to be connected to our new SUN T5220. On the SAn it looks all fine on the server I do not see any connection: cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition c1 scsi-bus connected ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
4 Replies

3. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allocating Unallocated Drive Space from a SAN to a filesystem

Good Morning everyone, I want to know how to allocate unallocated drive space from a SAN to a file system that desperately needs the drive space. Does anyone have any documentation or tips on how to accomplish this? I am running on AIX version 6.1. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanco
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to mount a 79TB SAN storage to another server?

Hi Team, How do i mount or connect the SAN storage to a specific folder. I have tried to mount it but each time i can only mount 900GB of the storage to the folder: ipmi1 ~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-root_vol ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElVista
0 Replies
VMWARE-CHECKVM(1)						   Open VM Tools						 VMWARE-CHECKVM(1)

NAME
vmware-checkvm - Check if running in a VM or not SYNOPSIS
vmware-checkvm DESCRIPTION
This is a simple console application and can be run as any user. vmware-checkvm check if is running in a VM (returns 0) or not (returns 1). OPTIONS
vmware-checkvm has no options. SEE ALSO
vmware-hgfsclient(1) vmware-toolbox(1) vmware-toolbox-cmd(1) vmware-user(1) libguestlib(3) libvmtools(3) vmware-xferlogs(1) vmware-guestd(8) vmware-hgfsmounter(8) vmware-user-suid-wrapper(8) vmblock(9) vmci(9) vmhgfs(9) vmmemctl(9) vmsock(9) vmsync(9) vmxnet(9) vmxnet3(9) HOMEPAGE
More information about vmware-checkvm and the Open VM Tools can be found at <http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
Open VM Tools were written by VMware, Inc. <http://www.vmware.com/>. This manual page was put together from homepage materials by Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 2010.03.20-243334 2010-04-08 VMWARE-CHECKVM(1)