Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a PATH variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a PATH variable Post 303027875 by joeyg on Thursday 27th of December 2018 08:29:43 AM
Old 12-27-2018
Or, think of the PATH as your favorites. An ordered list of places to look for programs.
In your example, there were five BIN directories to search for any referenced programs.
And the BIN directories are where executable programs are typically stored.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a variable

I cannot seem to get the following script to work. I cannot seem to set the variable. What am I missing? bin/bash set -x echo "2" > /tmp/number STATUS='grep -c 2 /temp/number' if ; then echo "Number 2 is found once" else echo "Number 2 is found more or less than one time" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rexmabry
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the path from a variable

Hi, I am having a variable Like line="/dir1/dir2/gr3/file.ksh" I need to get the /dir1/dir2/gr3 alone. the no of directories may differ at each time. Please advice. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creating in another path.. application unable to locate

I am submitting a concurrent program (of HOST tyme) from Oracle apps screen, The MAIN shell program submits another program, (child) which is also a Shell program. The child writes data to log file. Now the main program, read the log and do some calculations and sends the data to user through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Garine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readin document & creating path

Need a way to read a file in who every line is a path to a directory and make shortcut to that directory on a specific place. Example: line in the document /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/alex/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
3 Replies
WHEREIS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis -- locate programs SYNOPSIS
whereis [-abmqsux] [-BMS dir ... -f] program ... DESCRIPTION
The whereis utility checks the standard binary, manual page, and source directories for the specified programs, printing out the paths of any it finds. The supplied program names are first stripped of leading path name components, any single trailing extension added by gzip(1), compress(1), or bzip2(1), and the leading 's.' or trailing ',v' from a source code control system. The default path searched is the string returned by the sysctl(8) utility for the ``user.cs_path'' string, with /usr/libexec and the current user's $PATH appended. Manual pages are searched by default along the $MANPATH. Program sources are located in a list of known standard places, including all the subdirectories of /usr/src and /usr/ports. The following options are available: -B Specify directories to search for binaries. Requires the -f option. -M Specify directories to search for manual pages. Requires the -f option. -S Specify directories to search for program sources. Requires the -f option. -a Report all matches instead of only the first of each requested type. -b Search for binaries. -f Delimits the list of directories after the -B, -M, or -S options, and indicates the beginning of the program list. -m Search for manual pages. -q (``quiet''). Suppress the output of the utility name in front of the normal output line. This can become handy for use in a back- quote substitution of a shell command line, see EXAMPLES. -s Search for source directories. -u Search for ``unusual'' entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have at least one entry of each requested type. Only the name of the unusual entry is printed. -x Do not use ``expensive'' tools when searching for source directories. Normally, after unsuccessfully searching all the first-level subdirectories of the source directory list, whereis will ask locate(1) to find the entry on its behalf. Since this can take much longer, it can be turned off with -x. EXAMPLES
The following finds all utilities under /usr/bin that do not have documentation: whereis -m -u /usr/bin/* Change to the source code directory of ls(1): cd `whereis -sq ls` SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), man(1), which(1), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The whereis utility appeared in 3.0BSD. This version re-implements the historical functionality that was lost in 4.4BSD. AUTHORS
This implementation of the whereis command was written by Jorg Wunsch. BUGS
This re-implementation of the whereis utility is not bug-for-bug compatible with historical versions. It is believed to be compatible with the version that was shipping with FreeBSD 2.2 through FreeBSD 4.5 though. The whereis utility can report some unrelated source entries when the -a option is specified. BSD
August 22, 2002 BSD