Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Single quote _error_.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Single quote _error_. Post 303027726 by RudiC on Saturday 22nd of December 2018 11:08:23 AM
Old 12-22-2018
It's not in vain that people advise to abstain from using echo because its implementation is inconsistent and differs from system to system, and also between shell versions like sh and bash.
man sh resp. man dash:
Quote:
echo [-n] args...
Print the arguments on the standard output, separated by spaces. Unless the -n option is present, a newline is output following the arguments.

If any of the following sequences of characters is encountered during output, the sequence is not output. Instead, the specified action is performed:

\b A backspace character is output.
\c Subsequent output is suppressed. This is normally used at the end of the last argument to suppress the trailing newline that echo would otherwise output.
\e Outputs an escape character (ESC).
\f Output a form feed.
\n Output a newline character.
whereas in bash (or the external /bin/echo) that behaviour needs to be switched on. man bash:
Quote:
echo [-neE] [arg ...]
Output the args, separated by spaces, followed by a newline. The return status is 0 unless a write error occurs. ... If the -e option is given, interpretation of the following backslash-escaped characters is enabled.
So - you may call that an anomaly, but it is an expected and well known one.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a single quote

Hi there I have a data file like so below 'A/1';'T100002';'T100002';'';'01/05/2004';'31/05/2004';'01/06/2004';'08/06/2004';'1.36';'16';'0.22';'0';'0';'1.58';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'clientes\resumen\200405\resumen_T100002_T100002_1.pdf';'';'0001';'S';'20040501';'';'02';'0';'S';'N'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote

Hi I have a shell script with many lines as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is dcases_1sq; .... .... I want the above script to be as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is 'dcases_1sq'; I want to have single quotes like that as above for the entire shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping single quote

hi, echo 'abc' will give output abc how can i get output as 'abc' plz help. thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print single quote in awk

Hi all, It is a very stupid problem but I am not able to find a solution to it. I am using awk to get a column from a file and I want to get the output field in between single quotes. For example, Input.txt 123 abc 321 ddff 433 dfg ........ I want output file to be as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote replacement

hi all, i have a data in the file which of the formate : 100,102,103 and the required formate is \'100\',\'102\',\'103 Idealy we need to replace , with \',\' Regards arkesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arkeshtk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a single quote to each record

I have a file as: 1 New used 1 used New I need o/p as: '1' 'New' 'used' '1' 'used' 'New' (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert single quote and commas

Hi All, I have a set of data as below : XS012371378 Raj 23-09-12 SH128238948 Andrew 24-08-12 CH273712399 Walsh 12-10-12 JK7249923893 Nick 10-02-13 JP6383791389 Braslin 30-12-13 I want the first column to be extracted separately. I can get this using awk. awk '{print $1}' file_name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nand Kishor
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux