Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Question about global environment variables & fork() exec() Post 303027559 by Corona688 on Tuesday 18th of December 2018 04:02:40 PM
Old 12-18-2018
Nothing prevents the child from mangling its own environment variables before exec(), which is how execle, execvpe work IIRC. Otherwise, the child receives copies.

Whether it's before or after is kind of a moot point. It's done by copy-on-write, which copies on write.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Fork and exec

Hello! I am working on a server where I should have 4 (resident)processes, one of them being "the father" of the others, so I do 3 forks. The problem that I have is that I do an accept (for sockets) in the "father" process and I want to transmit the job to one of the processes "child" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: driki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FORK/EXEC technique

Hi! Can someone explain me exactly this technique? Why a process (PARENT) creates a copy of itself with FORK (CHILD)? What's the reason of this behaviour? Sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind it. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
4 Replies

3. Solaris

fork and exec ftp

Hi, I need to find/implement an application that FTPs (puts) all new files in a certain directory to an external storage unit. This application should check for new files every 10 seconds (leaving the FTP connection open in between the 10 seconds). The easiest way would be if there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork and exec

I need to ssh to a remote server and run my script there. This is my script. $ssh = "ssh username@host"; $cmd = "$ssh 'cd <my dir> && < sudo Run_exe>'"; my $pid = fork; if ($pid == 0){ exec $cmd; } When I run this I get: pccons_getchar: got r == 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: looza
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

6. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

7. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork with exec

What is is difference between 'fork with exec' and 'fork without exec'? How both are related? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array - Export/Import in global environment variables.

Hello. During startup /etc/bash.bashrc.local generates some array ..... source /.../.../system_common_general_array_env_var ..... The file system_common_general_array_env_var contains : LEAP_VERSION='42.3' ARRAY_MAIN_REPO_LEAP=('zypper_local' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Non-Oss' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
DAEMON(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 DAEMON(3)

NAME
daemon -- run in the background LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int daemon(int nochdir, int noclose); DESCRIPTION
The daemon() function is for programs wishing to detach themselves from the controlling terminal and run in the background as system daemons. The fork(2) system call is used; see CAVEATS below about the environment after a fork() (without a corresponding call to one of the exec rou- tines). On Mac OS X, the use of this API is discouraged in favor of using launchd(8). Unless the argument nochdir is non-zero, daemon() changes the current working directory to the root (/). Unless the argument noclose is non-zero, daemon() will redirect standard input, standard output, and standard error to /dev/null. RETURN VALUES
The daemon() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The daemon() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions fork(2) and setsid(2). SEE ALSO
fork(2), launchd(8), setsid(2), sigaction(2) HISTORY
The daemon() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CAVEATS
There are limits to what you can do in the child process. To be totally safe you should restrict yourself to only executing async-signal safe operations (see sigaction(2)) until such time as one of the exec functions is called. All APIs, including global data symbols, in any framework or library should be assumed to be unsafe after a fork() unless explicitly documented to be safe or async-signal safe. If you need to use these frameworks in the child process, you must exec. In this situation it is reasonable to exec yourself. Unless the noclose argument is non-zero, daemon() will close the first three file descriptors and redirect them to /dev/null. Normally, these correspond to standard input, standard output, and standard error. However, if any of those file descriptors refer to something else, they will still be closed, resulting in incorrect behavior of the calling program. This can happen if any of standard input, standard out- put, or standard error have been closed before the program was run. Programs using daemon() should therefore either call daemon() before opening any files or sockets, or verify that any file descriptors obtained have values greater than 2. The daemon() function temporarily ignores SIGHUP while calling setsid(2) to prevent a parent session group leader's calls to fork(2) and then _exit(2) from prematurely terminating the child process. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD