Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Monitoring Paging and Swapping Post 303027338 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 13th of December 2018 04:05:41 PM
Old 12-13-2018
a) yes, reserved is only reserved. A reservation only has an impact on further reservations. The OS can overcommit reservations, i.e. allow more than it could ever use.
b) the actual usage of swap is not limited by reservations.
c) yes, if "swap -l" reports 2GB swap then 2GB of data was moved from RAM to disk. Using that again would require a copy to RAM first. The OS uses a LRU scheme i.e. picks the Least Recently Used RAM for "archiving" in swap (on disk).
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excessive Paging&Swapping!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8i/9i on Unix Sun Solaris v8.0. I am experiencing excessive paging & Swapping.Would like to know the cause. I guess:could be due to inappropriate setting of Unix Kernel Parameters... Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks&Regards, Amit. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Paging and Swapping

Hi Guys: Would like to know how to check system swapping and paging and some theory on how they function. I am an oracle dba and my environment is 8171 on AIX 433. We have a 1GB of RAM on the box and I am educating myself to see how much more SGA can be accommodated on the box and what are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get swapping info

Hi How can I determine if swapping is occuring on a server. Thanks, Leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo
2 Replies

4. SuSE

Swapping

Hello! Why does my SuSE GNU/Linux machine swap? I have a Gig of ram, currently 14MBs of free RAM, 724MB - buffers and caches... That is 685MB of cached RAM, then kernel really should'nt have to swap, It should release cached memory in my thinkin... It has only swaped 3MB's but still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

virtual memory management, swapping paging

can anybody explain me the concepts virtual memory mangement, swapping and paging? although i roughly know what they are , i need more solid distinction between them, and also i want to figure out the relations between them? do you have any well-defined definitons for this concepts? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swapping in VI editor

Hi, I am attempting to replace several similar words with another word in vi. Here is what I have written for the script: 3dTcat -prefix SuperBrik_4WAY_HRF ../JULY10_2007A/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007A+tlrc ../JULY10_2007G/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007G+tlrc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping three lines

I have some text: <date>some_date</date> <text>some_text</text> <name>some_name<name> and I want to transform it to smthng like that: some_name on some_date: some_text I've tried sed: sed 's/<text>\(.*\)<\/text> <name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\2 - \1/' but it says unterminated... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsjkvf
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping fields

Hallo Team, This is the command that i am running : grep ",Call Forward Not Reachable" *2013* this is the output that i am getting (i did a head -10 but the files can be more than 1000) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Swapping

Hi Guys I am using SPARC-T4 (chipid 0, clock 2998 MHz), SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-38 sun4v. How do I see if the server was doing some swapping like yesterday? I had a java application error with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, now I want to check if the server was not doing some swapping at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines

Hi there, I have a text that I'm trying to format into something more readable. However, I'm stuck in the last step. I've searched and tried things over the internet with no avail. OS: Mac After parsing the original text that I won't put here, I managed to get something like this, but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
8 Replies
dynamic_pager(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  dynamic_pager(8)

NAME
dynamic_pager -- dynamic pager external storage manager SYNOPSIS
dynamic_pager [-F filename] [-S filesize] [-H high-water-trigger] [-L low-water-trigger] [-P priority] DESCRIPTION
The dynamic_pager daemon manages a pool of external swap files which the kernel uses to support demand paging. This pool is expanded with new swap files as load on the system increases, and contracted when the swapping resources are no longer needed. The dynamic_pager daemon also provides a notification service for those applications which wish to receive notices when the external paging pool expands or contracts. OPTIONS
-F The base name of the filename to use for the external paging files. By default this is /private/var/vm/swapfile. -S The fixed filesize [in bytes] to use for the paging files. By default dynamic_pager uses variable sized paging files, using larger sized files as paging demands increase. The -S, -H and -L options disable that default and cause dynamic_pager to use a series of fixed sized external paging files. -H If there are less than high-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will signal dynamic_pager to add a new external paging file. -L If there are more than low-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will coalese in-use pages and signal dynamic_pager to discard an external paging file. Low-water-trigger must be greater than high-water-trigger + filesize. -P This option is currently unimplemented. FILES
/private/var/vm/swapfile* Default external paging files. SEE ALSO
macx_swapon(2), macx_swapoff(2). Mac OS X July 8, 2003 Mac OS X