Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System V printing filter
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting System V printing filter Post 303025403 by jgt on Thursday 1st of November 2018 03:26:44 PM
Old 11-01-2018
this appears to use the lpr/lpd protocol. in this case the print file is stored in /usr/spool/lpd/destination and from there directly transferred to the device.
do you have netcat on your system or know if a binary is available.
you could stop the print service and manually edit the print file then restart the service.
do you know what unix release this is and if it is binary compatible with anything.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to configure the lp system to filter files passed to it

I registered a printer hp123 on Sun Solaris Server. I think my printer is expecting a carriage return and linefeed combination at the end of each line (DOS standard), but unix files only have linefeeds at the end of each line. How can I configure the lp system to filter files passed to it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simt
1 Replies

2. AIX

printing system with the command lp -d

Hello.. Plz, Any one can help me ? when I execute a printing system with the command lp -d<name of printer>, no result with all printers. I have verified the three processes : qdaemon, lpd, writesrv (No problem). thank's (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: okbainf
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

">" used in system() is not printing into file

I have a problem with the following skript in awk. cat runde.txt |awk '{ if ($5==2) { dataname_v=$1 "_" $4 "_adjust.rad befehl1="gensurf seitenwand... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
17 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris printing system migration

Hello folks, I'm currently working on migration of printing system from one server to another (namely from Sol 9 to Sol 10). I would like ask if is possible to manage migration via simple copying /etc/printers.conf file and folder /etc/lp to the new server??? I'm not sure if printers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter ONLY lines with non-printing charaters

I have a file contains data with non-printing characters. i have used cat -v filename to display whole data with non-printing characters also. However, i need lines with non-printing characters into seperate file. My file is huge and looks like i have to manully find lines using cat -v filename |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
3 Replies
LP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LP(1)

NAME
lp, lpd - copy a file to the line printer SYNOPSIS
lp [file ...] DESCRIPTION
Each file argument to lp is send to the line printer to be printed. Standard input is read and printed if there are no arguments. Lp exe- cutes /usr/lib/lpd with each file as input. Lpd puts the file in /usr/spool/lpd and starts printing the jobs on /dev/lp unless another lpd is already running. If lpd finds any character in the input that it doesn't know how to handle then it will print the rest of the file without any special treatment. This also means that no formfeed is sent after the file has been printed to force out the page. Lpd simply assumes that you know what you are doing. (dumb, eh?) Note: Don't do anything with a file until it is printed, lpd only makes a copy of a file in the spool directory when it is not world read- able. If it can be read then it is printed directly. FILES
/usr/spool/lpd/jobXXXXX Information about a job. /usr/spool/lpd/tmpXXXXX Associated file to be printed. /etc/termcap The 'lp' entry describes the printer by the "li#" and "co#" fields. By default 66 lines (li#66), and 80 columns (co#80). SEE ALSO
lp(4), termcap(5), termcap(7). BUGS
Not spooling a world readable file may not be such a smart idea. A formfeed should be printed and the printer reset after a job full of escape codes, but this may cost paper. No banner page. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) LP(1)