Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk conditional operators- lookup value in 2nd file Post 303024994 by vgersh99 on Monday 22nd of October 2018 11:13:48 AM
Old 10-22-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneanalyst
Sorry vgersh99, but your code doesn't produce the desired output. Only 2 rows were printed
please provide the output of cat -vet file1.txt using code tags.
With the properly formatted file1.txt (tab-delimited fields), I get:
Code:
awk -F '\t' 'FNR==NR {f3[$1];next} $1 in f3' OFS="\t" gene3.txt gene1.txt
BY1038  23497067        C->G
BY1039  14032743        A->T
BY2222  2720236 A->G
BY30211 7625503 C->A
CTS10416        16513268        T->C
CTS10700        16651541        G->T
CTS10879        14409483        A->C

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file Lookup using awk

Hi All, I have two files file1 and file2(lookup file).I need to map more than one keyfields of file1 with file2.how can we achieve it using awk. file1(max 2.2 million records) -------------------------- 680720|680721|077 680720|680721|978 680721|680722|090 file2(no idea about the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clueless about how to lookup and reverse lookup IP addresses under a file!!.pls help

Write a quick shell snippet to find all of the IPV4 IP addresses in any and all of the files under /var/lib/output/*, ignoring whatever else may be in those files. Perform a reverse lookup on each, and format the output neatly, like "IP=192.168.0.1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choco4202002
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file lookup using awk

I want to lookup filea with fileb,filec and filed. If entry in filea exist in fileb and filec mark Y and then if entry in filea exist in filed mark as Y. Final output should have all the entries from filea. This prints only matching entries from file a in fileb i want all entries from... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with AWK - Compare a field in a file to lookup file and substitute if only a match

I have the below 2 files: 1) Third field from file1.txt should be compared to the first field of lookup.txt. 2) If match found then third field, file1.txt should be substituted with the second field from lookup.txt. 3)Else just print the line from file1.txt. File1.txt:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venalla_shine
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combined sed+awk for lookup csv file

have written a combined sed+awk to perform a lookup operation which works but looking to enhance it. looking to match a record using any of the comma separated values + return selected fields from the record - including the field header. so: cat foo make,model,engine,trim,value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print field from lookup file in output

The below awk uses $3 and $4 in search as the min and max, then takes each $2 value in lookup and compares it. If the value in lookupfalls within the range in searchthen it prints the entire line in lookup/ICODE]. What I can't seem to figure out is how to print the matching $5 from search on that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup section of file in a range of another file

In the below, I am trying to lookup $1 and $2 from file1, in a range search using $1 $2 $3 of file2. If the search key from file1 is found in file2, then the word low is printed in the last field of that line in the updated file1. Only the last section of file1 needs to be searched, but I am not... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup value in one file in another range

I am trying to update the below awk, kindly provided by @RavinderSingh13, to update each line of file1 with either Low or No Low based on matching $2 of file1 to a range in $2 and $3 of file2. If the $2 value in file1 matches the range in file2 then that line is Low, otherwise it is No Low in the... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to format file with conditional split

In the awk below I am splitting $7 on the : (colon) then - (hyphen) as array a. The word chr is printed at the start of every $1 line. Next, $4 is split on the > (greater then) as array b. I am not sure how to account for the two other possibilities in $4 so the correct output is printed. Every... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)