Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Monitoring Paging and Swapping Post 303024731 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 16th of October 2018 01:54:35 AM
Old 10-16-2018
Swapping unused stuff is okay. So swap -l is no good.
Frequent/continued swapping is not good. So vmstat measurement with a large interval makes sense.
--
The ZFS ARC cache has been found too aggressive. Should be limited in /etc/system.
See this article
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excessive Paging&Swapping!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8i/9i on Unix Sun Solaris v8.0. I am experiencing excessive paging & Swapping.Would like to know the cause. I guess:could be due to inappropriate setting of Unix Kernel Parameters... Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks&Regards, Amit. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Paging and Swapping

Hi Guys: Would like to know how to check system swapping and paging and some theory on how they function. I am an oracle dba and my environment is 8171 on AIX 433. We have a 1GB of RAM on the box and I am educating myself to see how much more SGA can be accommodated on the box and what are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get swapping info

Hi How can I determine if swapping is occuring on a server. Thanks, Leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo
2 Replies

4. SuSE

Swapping

Hello! Why does my SuSE GNU/Linux machine swap? I have a Gig of ram, currently 14MBs of free RAM, 724MB - buffers and caches... That is 685MB of cached RAM, then kernel really should'nt have to swap, It should release cached memory in my thinkin... It has only swaped 3MB's but still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

virtual memory management, swapping paging

can anybody explain me the concepts virtual memory mangement, swapping and paging? although i roughly know what they are , i need more solid distinction between them, and also i want to figure out the relations between them? do you have any well-defined definitons for this concepts? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swapping in VI editor

Hi, I am attempting to replace several similar words with another word in vi. Here is what I have written for the script: 3dTcat -prefix SuperBrik_4WAY_HRF ../JULY10_2007A/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007A+tlrc ../JULY10_2007G/results2TENT/stats.JULY10_2007G+tlrc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping three lines

I have some text: <date>some_date</date> <text>some_text</text> <name>some_name<name> and I want to transform it to smthng like that: some_name on some_date: some_text I've tried sed: sed 's/<text>\(.*\)<\/text> <name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\2 - \1/' but it says unterminated... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsjkvf
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping fields

Hallo Team, This is the command that i am running : grep ",Call Forward Not Reachable" *2013* this is the output that i am getting (i did a head -10 but the files can be more than 1000) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Swapping

Hi Guys I am using SPARC-T4 (chipid 0, clock 2998 MHz), SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-38 sun4v. How do I see if the server was doing some swapping like yesterday? I had a java application error with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, now I want to check if the server was not doing some swapping at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines

Hi there, I have a text that I'm trying to format into something more readable. However, I'm stuck in the last step. I've searched and tried things over the internet with no avail. OS: Mac After parsing the original text that I won't put here, I managed to get something like this, but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
8 Replies
WebService::CIA::Source::Web(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 WebService::CIA::Source::Web(3pm)

NAME
WebService::CIA::Source::Web - An interface to the online CIA World Factbook SYNOPSIS
use WebService::CIA::Source::Web; my $source = WebService::CIA::Source::DBM->new(); DESCRIPTION
WebService::CIA::Source::Web is an interface to the live, online version of the CIA World Factbook. It's a very slow way of doing things, but requires no pre-compiled DBM. It's more likely to be useful for proving concepts or testing. METHODS
Apart from "new", these methods are normally accessed via a WebService::CIA object. "new( \%opts )" my $source = WebService::CIA::Source::Web->new(); $source = WebService::CIA::Source::Web->new( { user_agent => $ua } ); This method creates a new WebService::CIA::Source::Web object. It takes an optional hashref of arguments. "user_agent" A user agent object to use. This must implement the same user interface as "LWP::UserAgent" (or, at least, a "get()" method). "value($country_code, $field)" Retrieve a value from the web. $country_code should be the FIPS 10-4 country code as defined in <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/appen- dix/appendix-d.html>. $field should be the name of the field whose value you want to retrieve, as defined in <https://www.cia.gov/library/publica- tions/the-world-factbook/docs/notesanddefs.html>. (WebService::CIA::Parser also creates four extra fields: "URL", "URL - Print", "URL - Flag", and "URL - Map" which are the URLs of the country's Factbook page, the printable version of that page, a GIF map of the coun- try, and a GIF flag of the country respectively.) "value" will return "undef" if the country or field cannot be found, or if there is an error GETing the page. This isn't ideal, but I can't think of the best way around it right now. "all($country_code)" Returns a hashref of field-value pairs for $country_code or an empty hashref if $country_code isn't available from the Factbook. "get($country_code)" Retrieve and cache the data for a country. Returns 1 if successful, 0 if not. "cached($country_code)" Get/set the country code whose data is cached. "cache($hashref)" Get/set a hashref of data for the current country. "parser()" Returns a reference to the WebService::CIA::Parser object being used. "ua( $userAgent )" Returns a reference to the user agent object being used. By default this is an "LWP::UserAgent" object, but you can pass a different object in if you wish. "last_response()" Returns the "HTTP::Response" object from the last request. CACHING
In order to make some small improvement in efficiency, WebService::CIA::Source::Web keeps a copy of the data for the last country down- loaded in memory. TO DO
File system based caching of pages. User-definable stack of cached countries, rather than just one. Caching of last-modified headers; conditional GET. AUTHOR
Ian Malpass (ian-cpan@indecorous.com) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003-2007, Ian Malpass This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The CIA World Factbook's copyright information page (<https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/docs/contributor_copy- right.html>) states: The Factbook is in the public domain. Accordingly, it may be copied freely without permission of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). SEE ALSO
WebService::CIA, WebService::CIA::Parser, WebService::CIA::Source::DBM perl v5.8.8 2008-02-04 WebService::CIA::Source::Web(3pm)