Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to control grep output intact for each matching line? Post 303024544 by RudiC on Wednesday 10th of October 2018 04:39:40 PM
Old 10-10-2018
Why not forgo the loop?

Code:
grep -F chr1A file*.tab > subset_chr1A.tab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need grep to output basename and line#

I have a script that sorta works the way I want but I would rather just get the base name and line number from the grep output. My current script is this one liner: grep -n "$1" $SCCSPATH/*/s.*.k | cut -c1-80 which if I was searching for 121197 I would get something like this: ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
18 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep Line with Matching Fields

Below is the scenario. Help is appreciated. File1: ( 500,000 lines ) : Three fields comma delimited : Not sorted 1234FAA,435612,88975 1224FAB,12345,212356 File2: ( 4,000,000 lines ) : Six fields comma delimited (Last 3 field should match the 3 fields of File1) : Not Sorted : ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep / zgrep to output ONLY the matching filename and line number?

Hi all, I am trying to zgrep / grep list of files so that it displays only the matching filename:line number and does not display the whole line, like: (echo "1.txt";echo "2.txt") | xargs zgrep -no STRING If I use -o option, it displays the matching STRING and if not used, displays the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or other ways to output line above and/or below searched line

Hi all, Would like to know how I could search for a string 'xyz' but have the output show the line plus the line above and/or below all lines found. eg. search for xyz from file containing: abc 12345 asdf xyz asdfds wwwww kjkjkj ppppp kkkxyz eeee zzzzz and the output to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammac
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify matching data in a file and output to original line, in perl

Hi, I haven't done this for awhile, and further, I've never done it in perl so I appreciate any help you can give me. I have a file of lines, each with 5 data points that look like this: AB,N,ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HLDNG L.P,AB,N ALD,N,ALLIED CAPITAL CORPORATION,ALD,N AFC,N,ALLIED CAPITAL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcushing
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in removing control M and Line feed in output file.

Hi All, In my output file i am getting control m character and also the line feeds at different places and with different combinations, the content of the file is supposed to be in a single line but if there is a line feed in between then from there onwards it's going into new line. I tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bipin Kumar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep log file to get line above matching pattern

Hi, I have a log file that looks like this "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562636", "_version" : 1, "status" : 200, "found" : false } }, { "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562643", ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the output of a gzip command intact

how can i get the printf command or the echo command to print the data that are inbetween the first and the last quotes? #!/bin/sh printf '%s\n' "^_<8b>^H^@U<8c>MX^@^Cí=ÙzÚH<97>×ð^Teìn<8c>Ób_<9d><9f>dXd<9b>^N^F7<82>8qâÎ'^K^Y^T<83>D<90>°M^Lý^Hó^Fs5w3ß|s5/ÐýbS%©<84>^DBH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep file starting from pattern matching line

I have a file with a list of references towards the end and want to apply a grep for some string. text .... @unnumbered References @sp 1 @paragraphindent 0 2017. @strong{Chalenski, D.A.}; Wang, K.; Tatanova, Maria; Lopez, Jorge L.; Hatchell, P.; Dutta, P.; @strong{Small airgun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)