Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove unwanted commas from a .csv file? Post 303024287 by ranjancom2000 on Friday 5th of October 2018 09:15:07 AM
Old 10-05-2018
How to remove unwanted commas from a .csv file?

how to remove unwanted commas from a .csv file

Input file format
Code:
"Server1","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server 2012, (64-bit)","Powered On","1,696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"
"Server2","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server  2012, (64-bit)","Powered  On","2,696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"
"Server3","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server  2012, (64-bit)","Powered  On","3,696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"

Output required

Code:
"Server1","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server  2012(64-bit)","Powered  On","1696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"
"Server2","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server  2012(64-bit)","Powered  On","2696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"
"Server3","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server  2012(64-bit)","Powered  On","3696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"

I have removed the comma from column 6 (Size of the Capacity)
I have removed the comma from column 4 (Os field)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing commas with tilde in csv file.

hello all, i have a comma delimited file. i want to replace the commas in the file with the tilde symbol using sed. how can i do this? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: femig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate commas after exporting excel file to csv

Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first post so first of all I want to say that this is a great forum and I have managed to found most of my answers in these forums : ) So with that I ask you my first question: I have an excel file which I saved as a csv. However the excel file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spunkerspawn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove extra commas from CSV outp file

Name,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Domain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Contact,Phone,Email,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Location -----------------------,------------------------------------------------,-------,-----,---------------------------------,------------------------------------ ----... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV with commas in field values, remove duplicates, cut columns

Hi Description of input file I have: ------------------------- 1) CSV with double quotes for string fields. 2) Some string fields have Comma as part of field value. 3) Have Duplicate lines 4) Have 200 columns/fields 5) File size is more than 10GB Description of output file I need:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading commas in the file

Hi , I have a file with below records 965382,10310858,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 767010,10217614,3,10217616,10217622,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vputtas@gmail.c
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Extra Commas to a CSV file

Trying in this forum. Not sure if it is permitted.... but in need of help. Please find the requirements in the below link. https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/191503-add-extra-commas-csv-file-2.html#post302665179 Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chillblue
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Add extra commas to a CSV file using 2 files...

Hi , Based on my previous requirement the code works fine for comma as delimiter. Now my Req is widened up a bit .. There will be two set of files .. one with comma as delimiter and other with semi-colon ; as delimiter. Second Sample file. With Double Quotes (Semi-Colon... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Add extra commas to a CSV file.

Hi All, I got this requirement to process a complex CSV file. Eg File. Line 1: Name:,XYz Line 2: Age:,15 Line 3: Grade:,7 Line 4: Line 5: English, Maths, Science,Spanish Line 6:10,11,13,14 As you can see the maximum column is 4 . The file i need to make is Line 1: Name:,XYz,,... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that should remove unnecessary commas between double quotes in CSV file

i have data as below 123,"paul phiri",paul@yahoo.com,"po.box 23, BT","Eco Bank,Blantyre,Malawi" i need an output to be 123,"paul phiri",paul@yahoo.com,"po.box 23 BT","Eco Bank Blantyre Malawi" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathias23
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing commas from CSV file

Hi I'm creating a sh script to generate a csv file. The CSV contains the values from a sql table. The content looks this: a,b,c,c2,c3,,,,,,,,,,,d,e I have some code that can separate the fields using the comma as delimiter, but some values actually contain commas, such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preema
2 Replies
File::Spec::VMS(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      File::Spec::VMS(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::VMS - methods for VMS file specs SYNOPSIS
require File::Spec::VMS; # Done internally by File::Spec if needed DESCRIPTION
See File::Spec::Unix for a documentation of the methods provided there. This package overrides the implementation of these methods, not the semantics. eliminate_macros Expands MM[KS]/Make macros in a text string, using the contents of identically named elements of %$self, and returns the result as a file specification in Unix syntax. fixpath Catchall routine to clean up problem MM[SK]/Make macros. Expands macros in any directory specification, in order to avoid juxtaposing two VMS-syntax directories when MM[SK] is run. Also expands expressions which are all macro, so that we can tell how long the expan- sion is, and avoid overrunning DCL's command buffer when MM[KS] is running. If optional second argument has a TRUE value, then the return string is a VMS-syntax directory specification, if it is FALSE, the return string is a VMS-syntax file specification, and if it is not specified, fixpath() checks to see whether it matches the name of a directory in the current default directory, and returns a directory or file specification accordingly. Methods always loaded canonpath (override) Removes redundant portions of file specifications according to VMS syntax. catdir Concatenates a list of file specifications, and returns the result as a VMS-syntax directory specification. No check is made for "impossible" cases (e.g. elements other than the first being absolute filespecs). catfile Concatenates a list of file specifications, and returns the result as a VMS-syntax file specification. curdir (override) Returns a string representation of the current directory: '[]' devnull (override) Returns a string representation of the null device: '_NLA0:' rootdir (override) Returns a string representation of the root directory: 'SYS$DISK:[000000]' tmpdir (override) Returns a string representation of the first writable directory from the following list or '' if none are writable: sys$scratch: $ENV{TMPDIR} Since perl 5.8.0, if running under taint mode, and if $ENV{TMPDIR} is tainted, it is not used. updir (override) Returns a string representation of the parent directory: '[-]' case_tolerant (override) VMS file specification syntax is case-tolerant. path (override) Translate logical name DCL$PATH as a searchlist, rather than trying to "split" string value of $ENV{'PATH'}. file_name_is_absolute (override) Checks for VMS directory spec as well as Unix separators. splitpath (override) Splits using VMS syntax. splitdir (override) Split dirspec using VMS syntax. catpath (override) Construct a complete filespec using VMS syntax abs2rel (override) Use VMS syntax when converting filespecs. rel2abs (override) Use VMS syntax when converting filespecs. SEE ALSO
File::Spec perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 File::Spec::VMS(3pm)