Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex question Post 303023991 by boncuk on Wednesday 26th of September 2018 09:12:03 PM
Old 09-26-2018
hi Rudi .. sorry it was a typo. . 2nd wrong is not wrong. but 1st wrong is wrong.
I ran your command it selects nothing ?

Quote:
$ type a.txt
$
$ sed "/^[0-9]{8}(0[1357]|1[01])/!d" a.txt
$

------ Post updated at 09:12 PM ------

Quote:
In your regex, you want 00 in positions 9 and 10.
no i dont want to 00 in the 9th and 10th position ..i was not sure what 00 meant there.
what i want is simple .. i want to detect any records that contain 01,03,05,07,10 or 11 are in position 9th and 10th position.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-26-2018 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Fix QUOTE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex question

hi, i got a problem with understanding regular expressions. what i wanna do is scanning the wtmp logfile for ips and if a specific ip is echoed id like to be a part of a text to be assigned to it. the scanning is done with #! /bin/bash cat wtmp | strings | egrep -o "+\.+\.+\." | sort -u... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketkids
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

I have a simple file test.out that contains data in the form of key1=A|shift1 key2=B|shift2 key3=C|shift3 and so on. I need to get it to print A B C I can do it using lookbehind assertion such as this ( ?<==)() yet I was wondering if there is another way of mutching single... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi I have a question on regex There is a line in a script like my_file="$(echo SunMonTueWed | sed "s//_&g") " My question what does the expression _&g do. Obviously in this example the output is _Sun_Mon_Tue_Wed Another question can i use some trick to get the result like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi, im sure this is really simple but i cant quite figure it out. how do i test against a word at the beginning of the line but up to the point of a delimiter i.e. ":" for example if i wanted to test against the user in the /etc/passwd file peter:x:101:100:peters account:/var/peter:/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on regex with * and .

I have a basic question regarding * and . while using regex: # echo 3 | grep ^*$ 3 I think I understood why it outputs "3" here (because '*' matches zero or more of the previous character) but I don't understand the output of the following command: # echo 3 | grep ^.$ # I thought I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirage
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex question

I have dates in mm/dd/yy format that I wish to convert to yy-mm-dd format. ()/()/() finds them, but when I try to replace with $3-$1-$2 both kate and kwrite treat it as a text literal. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: porphyry5
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegEX question

Hi, I am trying to write a regex for myscript and need some input from experts. here is what I must grep for TICKET{Sapce}{Space}{hyphen} so here is the example data TICKET 34554, CT-12345, TICKET 12345: some text here TICKET 2342, CT-12345, MA-12344: some text here TICKET... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi guys, I have a file in the following format: cmpr5551 cmpr6002 cmpr93 anne 5454 bbro 434 cmprsvc cmprsvc7 ffgi55 vefe99 cmprsvc8 cmprsvc9 I need to "grep" only the entries which start with "cmpr" followed by the number. All other entries should be excluded. I was trying to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi guys, I am trying to "grep" or "egrep" the following entry out of the file using regex: MACCDB1 or MACCDB2 The problem is that the file might contain other entries which start with "MACCDB" string. I was trying to use regex to "grep" the exact pattern but it fails to output the correct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex Question

Hi I am trying to match lines having following string BIND dn="uid= putting something like this is not working : /\sBIND dn="uid=/ Any suggestion. Thanks. John (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
9 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)