Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Behaviour of echo commands used by Linux admins Post 303023933 by kraljic on Tuesday 25th of September 2018 11:41:53 PM
Old 09-26-2018
Thank You very much Peasant.
Hi Leo
Will try cat those files when I reach home. If I remember correctly, i couldn't cat those files even as root.
file command's output from my above post says no read permission too.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Longer commands and strange behaviour on ksh

Hi, I was trying to customize this archaic HP-UX box. only shell available is ksh and that too seems to be pretty old and doesn't completely conform to what I read on the web about ksh. Anyway here are my issues: - I wanted to have a dynamic title on xterm or dtterm. I put the following lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurags
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wierd behaviour setting stty echo

Hi all, Encountered a wierd behaviour which I am unable to understand. I have a function doing the follow: function RETRIEVE_PASSWORD { if (( $DC_ACCOUNT )) then clear printf "\nEnter Password for ${ConfiguredUser}" printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srage
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH, Remote Commands and echo, oh my!

So, HostB has a SSH trust via pre-shared keys from HostA. HostA> ssh HostB hostname HostB HostA> ssh HostB echo `hostname` HostA HostA> ssh HostB 'echo `hostname`' `hostname` HostA> ssh HostB "echo `hostname`" HostA HostA> ssh HostB echo $PS1 user@HostA:$PWD HostA> ssh HostB... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrathe
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

5. Linux

Linux/Weblogic Admins?

Please forgive me if I've chosen the wrong forum... but I'm just wondering how likely it is to find a Linux sys admin with a vast BEA Weblogic skillset or vice versa (a Weblogic admin with vast Linux admin skills)? The reason I ask is because our Linux Sys Admin is leaving for a position with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hard time with the sed/echo commands?

Hello, well what I'm trying to do is to remove underscores from filenames and leaving empty spaces instead: arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ ls big_file failas su shudu arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ a=big_file arturas@Universe:/windows/Center/training$ mv $a `echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcelivez
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo and grep commands

Hey im new in this...anything will be helpful... The user will input the word or phrase .... I want to search the user input in file (by lines) but not all then with this line search on another file ( with the specific line) and show to the user. Example: file1.txt ======= a aa aaa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sundown
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo out running commands

Is there any way in a script to print out the commands being ran? In DOS script, there is the "@echo on" and "@echo off". so I have a script like this: #!/bin/ksh echo "hello there. moving files." <turn on echoing here> cp thisfile.txt thatfile.txt cp whatfile.prop whyfile.prop <turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronron5477
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour on my Linux Server.

Hi, I keep getting this error when i run my script: No matter how many times i run this rm -rf /siebel/sfs/tmp/dump it succeeds when i expect it only the first time to succeed becoz i expect the second to fail as the directory should be gone in the first run. i had earlier mentioned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)