Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Neo's Recommended Audio Books Post 303023771 by Neo on Friday 21st of September 2018 11:09:11 PM
Old 09-22-2018
Neo's Recommended Audio Books

Just finished this Audible audio book. It's simply great.

Highly recommended:

This book was so well done that I did not want to miss a single word; so ended up listening to half of the book twice when I got distracted. This is a great audio book.

Publisher's Summary

Quote:
For more than half a century, physicists and astronomers engaged in heated dispute over the possibility of black holes in the universe. The weirdly alien notion of a space-time abyss from which nothing escapes - not even light - seemed to confound all logic. This engrossing audiobook tells the story of the fierce black-hole debates and the contributions of Einstein, Hawking, and other leading thinkers who completely altered our view of the universe. Renowned science writer Marcia Bartusiak shows how the black hole helped revive Einstein's greatest achievement, the general theory of relativity, after decades during which it had been pushed into the shadows. Not until astronomers discovered such surprising new phenomena as neutron stars and black holes did the once-sedate universe transform into an Einsteinian cosmos, filled with sources of titanic energy that can be understood only in the light of relativity.

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of general relativity, Black Hole uncovers how the black hole really got its name and recounts the scientists' frustrating, exhilarating, and at times humorous battles over the acceptance of one of history's most dazzling ideas

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

neo

Dear Guys , Please i have Linux Red Hat 6.1 i have webserver and i need to install a new web mail on my server so my clients can check there emails through it .. i ftp it to my server when i tried to set it up , it asked me to update my cgi .. i installed new CGI 2.8 . now when i try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
2 Replies

2. Solaris

10 Recommended

Hi there I have two boxes with the following patch levels (uname -a) 5.10 Generic_118844-28 5.10 Generic_118855-15 Could somebody tell me what the dates are that are associated with these Solaris 10 relaeases ? and if I apply the current 10_Recommended what it will take this number to ??... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recommended books for beginners

hi! what books do you recommend for someone like me who has no experience with unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briant
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Recommended Linux books

Hi All, What books do you recomend to have for quick reference in regarding to Linux administration and performance monitoring? Thanks for your insight. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to disc-at-once extract audio books with cdparanoia

Presently I am doing this in two steps. In the following example, I want to extract an 18 track disc with a filename of /rip/fandf11.wav cdparanoia -Q cdparanoia 1-18 "/rip/fandf11.wav" && eject cdrom I'm trying to learn some basic scripting but I ran into a problem trying to get the number... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconoclast hero
8 Replies

6. Slackware

Problems with audio recording in Audacity 2.0.5. Slackware64 14.1; Intel HD Audio.

I'm trying to record audio using Audacity 2.0.5 installed from SlackBuilds. My system is 64-bit Slackware 14.1 and a sound card is Intel HD Audio. I didn't change my sound system to OSS. (Default sound system in Slackware 14.1 is ALSA, isn't it?) First, I set Internal Microphone slider in KMix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzxcvbnm
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Thank's Neo!

Hi Neo, thank's for your work on the mobile theme. I like it to be able to have a look to this site on my mobile now and then. I know responsive-Design-Area is another rather complex field of IT, which can be very painful(I dive into CSS/JS/HTML/RESPONSIVE/... in some rare occasions too - not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stomp
1 Replies
Safe::Hole(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Safe::Hole(3pm)

NAME
Safe::Hole - make a hole to the original main compartment in the Safe compartment SYNOPSIS
use Safe; use Safe::Hole; $cpt = new Safe; $hole = new Safe::Hole {}; sub test { Test->test; } $Testobj = new Test; # $cpt->share('&test'); # alternate as next line $hole->wrap(&test, $cpt, '&test'); # ${$cpt->varglob('Testobj')} = $Testobj; # alternate as next line $hole->wrap($Testobj, $cpt, '$Testobj'); $cpt->reval('test; $Testobj->test;'); print $@ if $@; package Test; sub new { bless {},shift(); } sub test { my $self = shift; $self->test2; } sub test2 { print "Test->test2 called "; } DESCRIPTION
We can call outside defined subroutines from the Safe compartment using share(), or can call methods through the object that is copied into the Safe compartment using varglob(). But that subroutines or methods are executed in the Safe compartment too, so they cannot call another subroutines that are dinamically qualified with the package name such as class methods nor can they compile code that uses opcodes that are forbidden within the compartment. Through Safe::Hole, we can execute outside defined subroutines in the original main compartment from the Safe compartment. Note that if a subroutine called through Safe::Hole::call does a Carp::croak() it will report the error as having occured within Safe::Hole. This can be avoided by including Safe::Hole::User in the @ISA for the package containing the subroutine. Methods new [NAMESPACE] Class method. Backward compatible constructor. NAMESPACE is the alternate root namespace that makes the compartment in which call() method execute the subroutine. Default of NAMESPACE means the current 'main'. This emulates the behaviour of Safe-Hole-0.08 and earlier. new \%arguments Class method. Constructor. The constructor is called with a hash reference providing the constructor arguments. The argument ROOT specifies the alternate root namespace for the object. If the ROOT argument is not specified then Safe::Hole object will attempt restore as much as it can of the environment in which it was constrtucted. This includes the opcode mask, %INC and @INC. If a root namespace is specified then it would not make sense to restore the %INC and @INC from main:: so this is not done. Also if a root namespace is given the opcode mask is not restored either. call $coderef [,@args] Object method. Call the subroutine refered by $coderef in the compartment that is specified with constructor new. @args are passed as the arguments to the called $coderef. Note that the arguments are not currently passed by reference although this may change in a future version. wrap $ref [,$cpt ,$name] Object method. If $ref is a code reference, this method returns the anonymous subroutine reference that calls $ref using call() method of Safe::Hole (see above). If $ref is a class object, this method makes a wrapper class of that object and returns a new object of the wrapper class. Through the wrapper class, all original class methods called using call() method of Safe::Hole. If $cpt as Safe object and $name as subroutine or scalar name specified, this method works like share() method of Safe. When $ref is a code reference $name must like '&subroutine'. When $ref is a object $name must like '$var'. Name $name may not be same as referent of $ref. For example: $hole->wrap(&foo, $cpt, '&bar'); $hole->wrap(sub{...}, $cpt, '&foo'); $hole->wrap($objfoo, $cpt, '$objbar'); root Object method. Return the namespace that is specified with constructor new(). If no namespace was then root() returns 'main'. Warning You MUST NOT share the Safe::Hole object with the Safe compartment. If you do it the Safe compartment is NOT safe. This module provides a means to go from a state where an opcode is denied back to a state where it is not. Reasonable care has been taken to ensure that programs cannot simply manipulate the internals to the Safe::Hole object to reduce the opmask in effect. However there may still be a way that the authors have not considered. In particular it relies on the fact that a Perl program cannot change stuff inside the magic on a Perl variable. If you install a module that allows a Perl program to fiddle inside the magic then this assuption breaks down. One would hope that any system that was running un-trusted code would not have such a module installed. AUTHORS
Sey Nakajima <nakajima@netstock.co.jp> (Initial version) Brian McCauley <nobull@cpan.org> (Maintenance) Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpan.org> (Maintenance) SEE ALSO
Safe(3). perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Safe::Hole(3pm)