Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find file type recursively and move Post 303023022 by baris35 on Monday 10th of September 2018 02:09:57 PM
Old 09-10-2018
Find file type recursively and move

Hello,
I supposed that it was working fine but now I see that it's not working as expected.
I am running under ubuntu14.04, trusty.

My plan was to search folderA and all subdirectories and move any txt file to destination folder, folderB :

Code:
find /home/user/folderA/ -type f -iname "*.txt" -exec mv --backup=numbered \ 
-t /home/user/folderB {} +

Now I see a new folder was created ,by another process, under folderA , named folderC and it contains multiple text files but the script does not see txt file.

What could be the correct way?

Many thanks
Boris

Hello,
After a couple of tests, I realized that there were some colliding applications over the same folders. So, I have just sorted out now.

Many thanks
Boris

Last edited by baris35; 09-10-2018 at 06:02 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move recursively into one folder

Hi, I have a folder with a million subdirectories which all have a million files in them (some of them duplicates).. I am looking for the right program command to move all of the files out of the directories and into one folder-- and replace all of the duplicates.. If anyone has any ideas,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with shell script to check file type and move to a folder.

Hi, Below is some code that I would like to implement however I am getting these errors: (what I am attempting to do is to check if a zip file has ascii files and if ascii and not binary then move the ascii files to a folder. some of the files are in xml format but are ascii and i will be moving... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwcberb
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move a subfolder to one upper level

Hi, all: My folder structure is like: What I'm expecting to realize is to have my folders look like: How to realize it? Cheers Pei (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a pattern from an external file in a directory containing multiple file recursively

Hi, Need your help in this. I have an input file that has multiple enrollment_number, somewhat like 1234567 8901234 9856321 6732187 7623465 Now i have to search and delete these enrollment_number recursively from all the files that are within multiple sub-directories of a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move Multiple Files adding date timestamp before file type

There are files in a directory and I have to move multiple files adding datetimestamp before the file type. /Data/ abc.csv def.csv ghi.csv I have to move this files to archive directory adding datatimestamp before .csv /archive/ abc_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.csv def_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.csv... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
7 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script to find file type

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that takes a single command line parameter, a file path (might be relative or absolute). The script should examine that file and print a single line consisting of the phrase: Windows ASCII if the files is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How I can find the last file created and move it to a directory?

I have this situation /u03/app/banjobs> ls -ltr icg* 82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419186.log 56810484 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.xml 2859 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.lis - 125 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.log 82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419187.log ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bernardo Jarami
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and rename file recursively

Hi, I have a directory which contains multiple files with .txt extension, i want to rename all these file to .bak extension using find command, this is what i've tried, please help me to correct this : find /home/application/test -name '*.txt' -exec rename 's/txt/bak/' {} \; seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)