Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Cut Over to New Data Center and Upgraded OS Done. :) Post 303022883 by Neo on Saturday 8th of September 2018 11:19:53 PM
Old 09-09-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Cloud services are nice when you need systems for testing for a limited amount of time and you don't want to hold the hardware resources for this. If you need a system to test your new database with meaningless test data then Amazon cloud, Microsoft Azure or whatever else you prefer is for you. If you need a reliable productive system you better have control over every clock cycle the underlying machine offers.

bakunin

Yes, that is certainly a good case for cloud services.

I also use cloud services for the same, but on a limited basis.

We used to run UNIX.COM in the cloud many years ago, but it was just a PITA compared to a top end dedicated box.

If we were not so "old and long in the tooth" here at UNIX.COM and did not have so much legacy PHP code, I might consider the cloud again, but we have far too much legacy code for cloud services.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Cloud Enabling Computing for the Next Generation Data Center

Hear how the changing needs of massive scale-out computing is driving a transfomation in technology and learn how HP is supporting this new evolution of the web. More... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need to set up a HP cluster system in a data center

What are the server requirements, Software requirements, Network requirements etc, Please help me.. as 'm new 'm unable to get things done @ my end alone. Please refrain from typing subjects completely in upper case letters to get more attention, ty. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sounddappan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure rate of a node / Data center

Hi, Please, i have a history of the state of each node in my data center. an history about the failure of my cluster (UN: node up, DN: node down). Here is some lines of the history: 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.1 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.2 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.3 08:53:50 DN 127.0.0.1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Resolved: Issue in Server Data Center

Dear All, There was a problem in the data center data, which caused the server to be unreachable for about an hour. Server logs show the server did not crash or go down. Hence, I assume there was a networking issue at the data center. Still waiting for final word on what happened. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

OUTAGE: Data Center Problem Resolved.

There was a problem with our data center today, creating a site outage (server unreachable). That problem has been resolved. Basically, it seems to have been a socially engineered denial-of-service attack against UNIX.com; which I stopped as soon as I found out what the problem was. Total... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
endservent(3)						     Library Functions Manual						     endservent(3)

NAME
endservent, endservent_r - Close the network services database file. LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <netdb.h> void endservent(void); [Tru64 UNIX] The following function is supported in order to maintain backward compatibility with previous versions of the operating sys- tem. void endservent_r( struct servent_data *serv_data); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: endservent(): XNS4.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
[Tru64 UNIX] For endservent_r() only, this is data for services database. DESCRIPTION
The endservent() function closes either the local /etc/services file or the NIS distributed services file, previously opened with the get- servent(), getservbyname(), or getservbyport function. To determine which file or files to search, and in which order, the system uses the switches in the /etc/svc.conf file. [Tru64 UNIX] If the most recent setservent() function was performed with a nonzero parameter, a subsequent endservent() function will not close the network services database file. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] The endservent_r() function is the reentrant version of the endservent() function. It is supported in order to maintain backward compatibility with previous versions of the operating system. The netdb.h header file defines the serv_data structure. ERRORS
Current industry standards do not define error values for the endservent() function. [Tru64 UNIX] If the endservent_r() function fails, errno may be set to: serv_data is NULL. FILES
Contains service names. The database service selection configuration file. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: getservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), setservent(3). Files: services(4), svc.conf(4). Networks: nis_intro(7). Standards: standards(5). delim off endservent(3)