Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find string and delete before just in line? Post 303022233 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 28th of August 2018 11:01:09 AM
Old 08-28-2018
Code:
echo 'helloworldfirstline?mdksmyymsss' | sed 's/.*?//'
or
echo 'helloworldfirstline?mdksmyymsss' | sed 's/[^?]*//'

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a Line with a string X

Hi guys, I am new here. I have done many scripts in VisualBasic and batch. Now going to *inux and learning bash and perl, quite amazing commands I find in linux, like sed, grep, awk and so on... the task is simple, find a string in folders and remove the line where that string exists. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4scriptmoni
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a string from line

hi i have a file contains data session terminated Line timeout: 120 Change state START->SIGNON_REPLY, RC=0 Change state SIGNON_REPLY->SIGNON, RC=0 i need to remove "Change state" and write to the same file please help thanks Satya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Pattern delete line and next line

I am trying to delete the line with pattern and the next line. Found the below command in forum which also deleted the previous line. how should i modify that to make sure that only the line with pattern and the next line are deleted but not the previous line? awk '/key... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find specific line and delete line after.

I'm looking for a way to search a file, in this case init.rc for a specific match, service adbd /sbin/adbd, and delete the a specific line after it Original: # adbd is controlled by the persist.service.adb.enable system property service adbd /sbin/adbd disabled After deletion: #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GabrialDestruir
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: delete a string from last line

I am using a while loop to read a file and i have to delete a string from the last line. Here is the code so far: 1. Read line by line from file new.html using while loop and store in a variable data 2.Now, need to replace '||chr( from last line in data I am able to replace that character from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed find exact string and delete line with variable

All, I am trying to read in a variable and search a file then delete based on that string, but i want to match exact word. This works but it matches all, i don't want to match anthing that contains the string, just the exact string. sed -i "/$feedname/d" file I tried sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number in string and delete it AWK

Hi all, i have some logs on my linux server that looks like this: CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;123456456654;A;Greetings! Your amount is 42.24 dollars (without VAT) until 30/04/2012 11:00. CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;12154878454212;A;Greetings! Your amount is 4203.2 dollars... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)