Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Your Favorite Tech Support Web Sites and Why? Post 303022213 by Neo on Monday 27th of August 2018 10:13:32 PM
Old 08-27-2018
Your Favorite Tech Support Web Sites and Why?

Where do you go to participate in technical discussions besides UNIX.COM and why?

Personally, I do not really participate in other forums and discussion boards, but I do ask questions from time to time on Stack sites. The problem I have with Stack is that my questions are never answered on any topic; so perhaps they are not the standard, beginner questions that we often see. Or, perhaps I not good at asking questions, haha.

This means for me, I normally get my tech answers from a Google search or watching a tutorial video; because I have very bad luck asking questions and getting answers in forums and other discussion sites.

I also find Stack sites to be really restrictive, because these sites do not really promote back and forth discussions, but they are rather "post a question and vote up the best answer" sites. So, when I try to post on any of these kind of sites, I cannot get any sense of community; but that's me I guess; maybe others have better experiences?

I do like the fact that the Stack sites are not forum based but taxonomy (tag) based, so there is no need to post in a particular forum or designed area on the site; but just tag the post with one or more keywords and go.

Also, on the Stack sites, I have difficulty with code tags and other BB code tags; and sometimes I really struggle to get code posted. This means for me, I often get good information from Stack but only from a Google search referral, but rarely, to almost never, get my written questions answered.

How about about you?

Where are your favorite tech discussion hangouts and why?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Use UNIX to track web sites viewed?

I'm on OSX 10.4. I was wondering if you can use UNIX terminal to track what web sites have been viewed on this Mac... Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tracymanusa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generation file copying for tech support backup

Hi All, I've looked through the forum and haven't quite found what I'm looking to do. We're migrating our systems from a midrange to HP-UX, and I'm quite new to UNIX so I'm hoping that I can get pointed in the right direction. What I'm looking to do is save generations of files for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjohnson
12 Replies

3. Web Development

How do you make web sites?

:confused: I've read how on some websites but I still don't get it. I need specific details. I want to make a website for my photography. Please help!:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animelibara123
3 Replies

4. Web Development

What is Your Favorite Web Browser?

OK, please vote on your favorite web browser and comment why! Only currently supported browers please! Thanks. PS: I am a big FireFox fan. FireFox add-ons rock! (61 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
61 Replies

5. Red Hat

Web sites

Hi, I can't view web portal in my intranet from linux RHE, and neither to web application. My network configuration /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/fcfg-eth0 is ok, what is happen?, can you help me please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xochitl
2 Replies
SWISH-E(1)						       SWISH-E Documentation							SWISH-E(1)

NAME
Swish-e - A Search Engine SYNOPSIS
swish [-e] [-i dir file ... ] [-S system] [-c file] [-f file] [-l] [-v (num)] swish -w word1 word2 ... [-f file1 file2 ...] [-P phrase_delimiter] [-p prop1 ...] [-s sortprop1 [asc|desc] ...] [-m num] [-t str] [-d delim] [-H (num)] [-x output_format] swish -k (char|*) [-f file1 file2 ...] swish -M index1 index2 ... outputfile swish -N /path/to/compare/file swish -V See the the SWISH-RUN(1) man page for details on run-time options. DESCRIPTION
Swish-e is Simple Web Indexing System for Humans - Enhanced. Swish-e can quickly and easily index directories of files or remote web sites and search the generated indexes. Swish-e is extremely fast in both indexing and searching, highly configurable, and can be seamlessly integrated with existing web sites to maintain a consistent design. Swish-e can index web pages, but can just as easily index text files, mailing list archives, or data stored in a relational database. Swish is designed to index small to medium sized collection of documents, Although a few users are indexing over a million documents, typi- cal usage is more often in the tens of thousands. Currently, Swish-e only indexes eight bit character encodings. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation is provided as HTML pages installed in $prefix/share/doc/swish-e where $prefix is /usr/local if building from source, or /usr if installed as part of a package from your OS vendor. Under Windows $prefix is selected at installation time. Documentation is also available on-line at http://swish-e.org. A subset of the documentation is installed as system man pages as well. The following man pages should be installed: swish-e(1) This man page. SWISH-CONFIG(1) Defines options that can be used in a configuration file. SWISH-RUN(1) Describes the run-time options and switches. SWISH-FAQ(1) Answers to commonly asked questions. SWISH-LIBRARY(1) API for the Swish-e search library. Applications can link against this library. SUPPORT
Support for Swish-e is provide via the Swish-e discussion list. See http://swish-e.org for information. 2.4.7 2009-04-04 SWISH-E(1)