Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash 101 - string assigment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash 101 - string assigment Post 303022186 by rovf on Monday 27th of August 2018 06:17:56 AM
Old 08-27-2018
To get familiar with bash terminology, it would already help to glance over the bash man page, in particular to the titles of the respective chapters. You don't need to understand every detail yet, but at least you know next time when you are asking a question, how the different concepts of bash are called.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison using bash

I have a program to create a directory if not present. Here is the program. FYI: Directory name format: YYYY_MM_DD #!/bin/bash date=`date +%Y_%m_%d` presence=$(ls -lrt /TS_File/ | grep "$date" | awk '{print $9}') if then mkdir /TS_File/$date else echo "Unable to Create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assigment not works in shell script

Hi, The following assigment is not working within shell script but is working from command line. Could anybody advise why? OS - solaris 8 APPL=`grep "$Application" ldapapps |awk '{print $1}'` echo $APPL (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a String using Bash

I'm going freakin crazy here! I've tried multiple attempts and configurationa and cannot get this to work. I have a file: private/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list I want to replace a string in this file: "deb http:name.of.address ./" with "deb http:name.of.other.address ./" The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thazsar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment with variable assigment

Hello All, I'm trying to assign integer values to variables using substitution in both the value and variable's name, i.e., number$x=$x where x is equal to one in the first assignment, two in the second assignment, and so on with x being incremented each time. However, when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tombombadil
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Getting first digit of a string

If i'm given a string like "abc-def-1.2.3", how would I return "1"? I'm new to scripting and got stumped on this problem. Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atsim
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get distinct value in bash between two string

Sorry for my english i am french So i am receiving from a script this prompt : tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME appears tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME bh3vm tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME dev tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 101 - to (do) ; or not to (do) ; ?

I figured this forum needs some laughs , so I am posting this. And if the answer is - it depends on bash version - do not reply. This is from "manual" while CONTROL-COMMAND; do CONSEQUENT-COMMANDS; done And here is the REAL code - no ";" while do xterm & i=$ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
BASHBUG(1)							      bashbug								BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--help] [--version] [bug-report-email-addresses] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a utility for reporting bugs in Bash to the maintainers. bashbug will start up your preferred editor with a preformatted bug report template for you to fill in. Save the file and quit the editor once you have completed the missing fields. bashbug will notify you of any problems with the report and ask for confirmation before sending it. By default the bug report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. The recipients can be changed by giving a comma separated list of bug-report-email-addresses. If you invoke bashbug by accident, just quit your editor. You will always be asked for confirmation before a bug report is sent. OPTIONS
--help Show a brief usage message and exit. --version Show the version of bashbug and exit. bug-report-email-addresses Comma separated list of recipients' email addresses. By default the report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. ENVIRONMENT
DEFEDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report. EDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report (overridden by DEFEDITOR). SEE ALSO
bash(1), reportbug(1), update-alternatives(8) for preferred editor. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christer Andersson <klamm@comhem.se> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). GNU Bash 3.1 11 December 2007 BASHBUG(1)