Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While read won't run keyboard function Post 303022181 by MadeInGermany on Monday 27th of August 2018 02:28:36 AM
Old 08-27-2018
The read in the pause function competes with the read after while.
You can redirect the read to a keyboard device.
Code:
read -p "Press [Enter] key to continue..."  </dev/tty

Or you can redirect the whole function
Code:
pause </dev/tty

A good alternative is to use another descriptor for the while read
Code:
while read ... <&3
do
done 3< filename

The descriptor 3 does not clash with the standard descriptors 0=stdin, 1=stdout, 2=stderr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why won't my script run?

On the following script that I get an error when I try to execute as root: #./mv_log.sh bash: /root/util/mv_log.sh: Permission denied #!/usr/bin datetag=`date --date='1 day ago' +"%b%d%Y"` logname=`find /opt/bea/wlserver6.1/config/*/logs/ -iname 'access.log0*' -mtime -1 -print` mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron won't run properly

I am new to unix, and this is my 1st post on this board. Looking for some advice about a cron job in my server. I am running a cron task that references a script which runs several other scripts and compiles them into a report and emails it to me. If I run the script manually, I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steeler_fan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Made command into a script but now won't run

Hello, After seeing in a Unix cheatsheet that I could add commands into a file and run that file as a command to save on typing, i tried it with this: #! /bin/csh # Backup website excluding directories that do not change rsync -e "ssh -p 2222" -axzvc --progress --stats --compress-level=9... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
9 Replies

4. Solaris

smc won't run on a regular user

Hi All, I'm getting this all the time with a regular user (after I do su - and smc): It appears you are attempting to run the graphical Solaris Management Console from a terminal which does not have a suitable 'DISPLAY' environment. Please check your 'DISPLAY' settings and that the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Toshiba Laptop Won't Run Bluetooth with Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9337 with built-in Bluetooth hardware. I cannot get the Bluetooth hardware to work with my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. I have installed the tosh software with no luck. Does anyone have an idea as to what to try. I have several kernel mods... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjloeb
0 Replies

6. SCO

SCO 6.0-Keys in keyboard function differently

Sir I have HP installed with SCO 6.0. The problems are (1) some keys in board like 'del' 'backspace', 'pageup/dn" do not function and display some special characters on conole. (2) Files transferred from Windows machine invariably contain control Z/M characters. How to resolve these issues. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chssastry
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

CDE Login on console won't use keyboard

Hi all, I'm installing a HP r2660 machine with HP-UX 11.23 (this version fixed by customer's product) and I've troubles using the VGA console as workstation display. At first it worked just as TEXT console, then I fixed /etc/dt/config/Xservers and now I've the CDE prompt for login. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry100
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command if no mouse or keyboard input

I would like a script that would run pm-suspend if there has been no keyboard or mouse input for a specified time. ------ Post updated at 11:17 AM ------ Never mind. I found a setting in power management that does what I need. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
install_keyboard(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual					 install_keyboard(3alleg4)

NAME
install_keyboard - Installs the Allegro keyboard interrupt handler. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int install_keyboard(); DESCRIPTION
Installs the Allegro keyboard interrupt handler. You must call this before using any of the keyboard input routines. Once you have set up the Allegro handler, you can no longer use operating system calls or C library functions to access the keyboard. Note that on some platforms the keyboard won't work unless you have set a graphics mode, even if this function returns a success value before calling set_gfx_mode. This can happen in environments with graphic windowed modes, since Allegro usually reads the keyboard through the graphical window (which appears after the set_gfx_mode call). Example: allegro_init(); install_timer(); install_keyboard(); /* We are not 100% sure we can read the keyboard yet! */ if (set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT, 640, 480, 0, 0) != 0) abort_on_error("Couldn't set graphic mode!"); /* Now we are guaranteed to be able to read the keyboard. */ readkey(); RETURN VALUE
Returns zero on success, or a negative number on failure (but you may decide not to check the return value as this function is very unlikely to fail). SEE ALSO
remove_keyboard(3alleg4), poll_keyboard(3alleg4), key(3alleg4), keypressed(3alleg4), readkey(3alleg4), ureadkey(3alleg4), keyboard_call- back(3alleg4), keyboard_ucallback(3alleg4), keyboard_lowlevel_callback(3alleg4), three_finger_flag(3alleg4), key_led_flag(3alleg4), set_leds(3alleg4), set_keyboard_rate(3alleg4), set_gfx_mode(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 install_keyboard(3alleg4)