Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash 101 - string assigment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash 101 - string assigment Post 303022165 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 26th of August 2018 03:48:52 PM
Old 08-26-2018
Code:
choice=${USERINPUT}
# or
choice="$USERINPUT"

will work. Whenever you reference a string try to put double quotes around it. Or use the ${variable} syntax for the source variable, not the destination

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison using bash

I have a program to create a directory if not present. Here is the program. FYI: Directory name format: YYYY_MM_DD #!/bin/bash date=`date +%Y_%m_%d` presence=$(ls -lrt /TS_File/ | grep "$date" | awk '{print $9}') if then mkdir /TS_File/$date else echo "Unable to Create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assigment not works in shell script

Hi, The following assigment is not working within shell script but is working from command line. Could anybody advise why? OS - solaris 8 APPL=`grep "$Application" ldapapps |awk '{print $1}'` echo $APPL (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a String using Bash

I'm going freakin crazy here! I've tried multiple attempts and configurationa and cannot get this to work. I have a file: private/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list I want to replace a string in this file: "deb http:name.of.address ./" with "deb http:name.of.other.address ./" The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thazsar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment with variable assigment

Hello All, I'm trying to assign integer values to variables using substitution in both the value and variable's name, i.e., number$x=$x where x is equal to one in the first assignment, two in the second assignment, and so on with x being incremented each time. However, when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tombombadil
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Getting first digit of a string

If i'm given a string like "abc-def-1.2.3", how would I return "1"? I'm new to scripting and got stumped on this problem. Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atsim
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get distinct value in bash between two string

Sorry for my english i am french So i am receiving from a script this prompt : tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME appears tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME bh3vm tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME dev tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 101 - to (do) ; or not to (do) ; ?

I figured this forum needs some laughs , so I am posting this. And if the answer is - it depends on bash version - do not reply. This is from "manual" while CONTROL-COMMAND; do CONSEQUENT-COMMANDS; done And here is the REAL code - no ";" while do xterm & i=$ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
SRTCONFIG(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      SRTCONFIG(1)

NAME
srtconfig -- configure srt interfaces SYNOPSIS
srtconfig srtX srtconfig srtX N srtconfig srtX del N srtconfig srtX add srcaddr mask dstif dstaddr srtconfig srtX set N srcaddr mask dstif dstaddr DESCRIPTION
srtconfig configures, or queries the configuration of, srt(4) interfaces. An srt(4) interface parcels packets out to other interfaces based on their source addresses (the normal routing mechanisms handle routing decisions based on destination addresses). An interface may have any number of routing choices; they are examined in order until one matching the packet is found. The packet is sent to the corresponding inter- face. (Any interface, even another srt interface, may be specified; if the configurations collaborate to cause a packet to loop forever, the system will lock up or crash.) When run with only one argument, srtconfig prints the settings for the specified interface. When run with two arguments, srtconfig prints the settings for the routing choice whose number is given as the second argument. The form with 'del' deletes a routing choice, identified by its number. Other choices with higher numbers, if any, will be renumbered accordingly. The 'add' form adds a choice; the other arguments describe it, and are documented below. The new choice is added at the end of the list. The 'set' form replaces an existing choice, given its number. The other arguments describe the new choice which is to replace whatever cur- rently exists at the given number N. A choice is described by four pieces of information: a source address and mask, which are used to determine which choice an outgoing packet uses, a destination interface, and a destination address for the new interface. The source address and mask are specified like any Internet addresses (for convenience, the mask may instead be specified as a '/' followed by a small integer, CIDR-style; note that in this case the mask must still be a separate argument; it cannot be appended to the end of the source address argument). Each srt interface also has ordinary source and destination addresses which are set with ifconfig(8) like any other interface; these should not be confused with any of the above. AUTHORS
der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca> BSD
August 21, 2000 BSD