Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line Post 303022146 by RudiC on Sunday 26th of August 2018 08:57:09 AM
Old 08-26-2018
Code:
awk ' /string1/ {gsub (/string2/, "string3")} 1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing string1 with string2 in many files

I have 70 files and want to replace string1 with string2. How can i do that?. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashikandi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a line below where the pattern found

Hi All, I have a file say abc.xml. In this file, I need to search for a pattern “SAP_GATEWAY_HOST”; if this pattern found and the next line also contain the pattern “nwprc03.cos” then I need to replace this pattern “nwprc03.cos” with some other pattern “nwdrc03.apjp”. $ cat abc.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh.patni84
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace line with found unknown pattern

Hi, I have a file with the following content: --------- a 3242 tc_5 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_6 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_7 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_4 gdfg4 --------- I want to replace the lines containing tc_? (tc_5, tc_6 etc. even with unknown numbers) with the found... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joas
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines before string1 and after string2

Hello All... I have a text file (.ics) which I need to read into a variable but ONLY the part including and after 'BEGIN:VEVENT' and ending with END:VEVENT Anything before BEGIN:VEVENT or after END:VEVENT should be ignored. Thanks for input Jeff BEGIN:VCALENDAR VERSION:2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uptimejeff
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print record with both string1 and string2

How do I use awk to find the records in a file that contains two specific strings? I have tried piping and using awk two times, but I don't know how to do it in one action. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and replace a particular line if found

Hi All There is another challenge which stand in front of me. And want all to have the experience with that I have a file in Unix say a.txt. What I was trying is to read the file line by line and matching the line to particular pattern, and if that pattern found I want to replace that line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string2 with string3 on all lines starting with string1

My OS is Windows 10 and I am using Cygwin. The file 1 content is: USE solution 2; -4.000 USE solution 3; -4.000 … USE solution 29; -4.000 USE solution 30; -4.000 USE solution 31; -4.000 …. USE solution 89; -4.000 ... USE solution 202; -4.000 etc... I need to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: supernono06
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line

I found this in the forum that searches a file for string1, substitute all occurrences of string2 with string3. (Title: Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line) >> sed -i '/string1/s/string2/string3/g' TextFile How will I perform the same sed command and only substitute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies
TR(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     TR(1)

NAME
tr -- translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [-Ccsu] string1 string2 tr [-Ccu] -d string1 tr [-Ccu] -s string1 tr [-Ccu] -ds string1 string2 DESCRIPTION
The tr utility copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. The following options are available: -C Complement the set of characters in string1, that is ``-C ab'' includes every character except for ``a'' and ``b''. -c Same as -C but complement the set of byte values in string1. -d Delete characters in string1 from the input. -s Squeeze multiple occurrences of the characters listed in the last operand (either string1 or string2) in the input into a single instance of the character. This occurs after all deletion and translation is completed. -u Guarantee that any output is unbuffered. In the first synopsis form, the characters in string1 are translated into the characters in string2 where the first character in string1 is translated into the first character in string2 and so on. If string1 is longer than string2, the last character found in string2 is dupli- cated until string1 is exhausted. In the second synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input. In the third synopsis form, the characters in string1 are compressed as described for the -s option. In the fourth synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input, and the characters in string2 are compressed as described for the -s option. The following conventions can be used in string1 and string2 to specify sets of characters: character Any character not described by one of the following conventions represents itself. octal A backslash followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits represents a character with that encoded value. To follow an octal sequence with a digit as a character, left zero-pad the octal sequence to the full 3 octal digits. character A backslash followed by certain special characters maps to special values. a <alert character>  <backspace> f <form-feed> <newline> <carriage return> <tab> v <vertical tab> A backslash followed by any other character maps to that character. c-c Represents the range of characters between the range endpoints, inclusively. [:class:] Represents all characters belonging to the defined character class. Class names are: alnum <alphanumeric characters> alpha <alphabetic characters> cntrl <control characters> digit <numeric characters> graph <graphic characters> lower <lower-case alphabetic characters> print <printable characters> punct <punctuation characters> space <space characters> upper <upper-case characters> xdigit <hexadecimal characters> With the exception of the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters in the classes are in unspecified order. In the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters are entered in ascending order. For specific information as to which ASCII characters are included in these classes, see ctype(3) and related manual pages. [=equiv=] Represents all characters belonging to the same equivalence class as equiv, ordered by their encoded values. [#*n] Represents n repeated occurrences of the character represented by #. This expression is only valid when it occurs in string2. If n is omitted or is zero, it is be interpreted as large enough to extend string2 sequence to the length of string1. If n has a leading zero, it is interpreted as an octal value, otherwise, it's interpreted as a decimal value. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of tr as described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
The following examples are shown as given to the shell: Create a list of the words in file1, one per line, where a word is taken to be a maximal string of letters. tr -cs "[:alpha:]" " " < file1 Translate the contents of file1 to upper-case. tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]" < file1 Strip out non-printable characters from file1. tr -cd "[:print:]" < file1 Remove diacritical marks from all accented variants of the letter 'e': tr "[=e=]" "e" DIAGNOSTICS
The tr utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
System V has historically implemented character ranges using the syntax ``[c-c]'' instead of the ``c-c'' used by historic BSD implementations and standardized by POSIX. System V shell scripts should work under this implementation as long as the range is intended to map in another range, i.e. the command ``tr [a-z] [A-Z]'' will work as it will map the ``['' character in string1 to the ``['' character in string2. How- ever, if the shell script is deleting or squeezing characters as in the command ``tr -d [a-z]'', the characters ``['' and ``]'' will be included in the deletion or compression list which would not have happened under an historic System V implementation. Additionally, any scripts that depended on the sequence ``a-z'' to represent the three characters ``a'', ``-'' and ``z'' will have to be rewritten as ``a-z''. The tr utility has historically not permitted the manipulation of NUL bytes in its input and, additionally, stripped NUL's from its input stream. This implementation has removed this behavior as a bug. The tr utility has historically been extremely forgiving of syntax errors, for example, the -c and -s options were ignored unless two strings were specified. This implementation will not permit illegal syntax. STANDARDS
The tr utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). It should be noted that the feature wherein the last character of string2 is duplicated if string2 has less characters than string1 is per- mitted by POSIX but is not required. Shell scripts attempting to be portable to other POSIX systems should use the ``[#*]'' convention instead of relying on this behavior. The -u option is an extension to the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') standard. BSD
October 11, 1997 BSD