Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random letters
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Random letters Post 303022030 by eldeingles on Thursday 23rd of August 2018 05:01:04 AM
Old 08-23-2018
Wow, RudiC, that's awesome!
A final thought: how could I add a blank space when 2 underscores are together?

Great help!

------ Post updated at 03:40 AM ------

Forget it! I figured it out myself.

------ Post updated at 03:51 AM ------

How could I get the blanked_out resulting word separated from the definition by a tab? This I can't figure it out.

------ Post updated at 04:01 AM ------

For some reason this words didn't come out well:
- footprints left in the hard dried ... mud
- a hit TV ... show
- a blanket advertising ... on tobacco ban
- I need my beauty ... . rest
- Elephants have a very tough ... . hide

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capital letters GONE!

I have an odd issue. I am trying to copy some files/folders to my linux box via a burned CD which I created on my mac. When I browse the files on the mac (or my windows box), everything looks fine (some of the folder names start with a capital letter, which is needed for everything to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blogg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim letters

Hello, I have a list of words.. ranging from 4 to any characters long.. to not more than 20 though. How can I select only first seven letters of the list of words? example:- wwwwwwwwww eeeee wererreetf sdsarddrereewtewt sdsdsds sdsd ereetetttt ewtwertwrttrttrtrtwtrww I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Random insertion of letters to password

Hi,, Here i have attached a text file where iam facing problem in my code. Please read the file and help me out of this issue.. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize letters

Hi, Is there a tool somewhat parallel to rev, but which randomizes instead of reverses? I've tried rl, but I can only get it to randomize words. I was hoping for something like this echo "hello" | ran leolh less simpler solutions are also welcome. Sorry if the question is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut only letters?

I was wondering how I could cut only the names of items from the following list: spoons50 cups29 forks50 plates29 I used "man cut" and thought -c would help, but the items have different character lengths. Please note that there is no space between the item and number (so I can't use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
10 Replies
TABS(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TABS(1)

NAME
tabs -- set terminal tabs SYNOPSIS
tabs [-n|-a|-a2|-c|-c2|-c3|-f|-p|-s|-u] [+m[n]] [-T type] tabs [-T type] [+[n]] n1[,n2,...] DESCRIPTION
The tabs utility displays a series of characters that first clears the hardware terminal tab settings and then initializes the tab stops at the specified positions and optionally adjusts the margin. The phrase "tab-stop position N" means that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N shall cause the next character output to be in the (N+1)th column on that line. The following options are supported: -n Specifies repetitive tab stops separated by a uniform number of columns, n, where n is a single digit decimal number. The default usage of tabs with no arguments is equivalent to tabs -8. When -0 is used, the tab stops are cleared and no new ones set. -a Assembler, applicable to some mainframes. Equivalent to tabs 1,10,16,36,72 . -a2 Assembler, applicable to some mainframes. Equivalent to tabs 1,10,16,40,72 -c COBOL, normal format. Equivalent to tabs 1,8,12,16,20,55 -c2 COBOL, compact format (columns 1 to 6 omitted). Equivalent to tabs 1,6,10,14,49 -c3 COBOL, compact format (columns 1 to 6 omitted), with more tabs than -c2. Equivalent to tabs 1,6,10,14,18,22,26,30,34,38,42,46,50,54,58,62,67 -f FORTRAN. Equivalent to tabs 1,7,11,15,19,23 -p PL/1. Equivalent to tabs 1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37,41,45,49,53,57,61 -s SNOBOL. Equivalent to tabs 1,10,55 -T type Indicates the type of terminal. -u Assembler, applicable to some mainframes. Equivalent to tabs 1,12,20,44 EXIT STATUS
The tabs utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS and TERM environment variables affect the execution of tabs as described in environ(7). The -T option overrides TERM. If neither TERM nor the -T option are present, tabs will fail. SEE ALSO
expand(1), stty(1), tput(1), unexpand(1), termcap(5) STANDARDS
The tabs utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A tabs utility first appeared in PWB UNIX. This implementation was introduced in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Roy Marples <roy@NetBSD.org> BUGS
The current termcap(5) database does not define the set left soft margin 'ML' capability for any terminals. BSD
December 9, 2008 BSD