Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning basename result to another variable Post 303021620 by annacreek on Monday 13th of August 2018 12:38:16 PM
Old 08-13-2018
I will try to clarify one of my issues.
I need to get item selected from whiptail (menu) --checklist

Here is my last simplified code using "while read" and it sort off works retrieving values from menu.

Three issues

1. It will print continually - after "enter" and only first parameter passed to the function , not the (menu) selection and only when --separate-output is implemented

2. It will print selection in "" after "enter", then it will print first parameter passed to the function, continually after each enter press when --separate-output is NOT implemented.

3. It will never "terminate " the "while read "

I can live with "" around selection , but need to stop the "while read".
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Cheers

BTW

I run plain bash on Raspian OS.

My code is under construction / troubleshooting and I do concentrate on issues
not on keeping the code in sync with comments. It should not be a big issue if discussion participants bypass the comment too if the are not relevant.

Code:
   	 	 	 	   czechlist_DEBUG  
 Passed parameter #1 is DEBUG USB  
 Passed parameter #2 is lsusb
 Passed parameter #3 is test parameter !  
 Passed parameter #4 is test parameter 2  

DEBUG USB  

DEBUG USB  

czechlist_DEBUG(){
 echo "czechlist_DEBUG "
 echo "Passed parameter #1 is $1"
 echo "Passed parameter #2 is $2"
 echo "Passed parameter #3 is $3"
 echo "Passed parameter #4 is $4"
 #echo "--checklist <text> <height> <width> <listheight> [tag it$
 # Option 1"
 #pause  
  whiptail \
  --title "$1"  \
  --separate-output \
  --checklist  "Choose: " 20 78 15 \
  "$2" "" on  \
  "$3" "" off \
  "$4" "" off
  2>selection  
 #prints selection / results without separate-output option
 #  --separate-output \
 while read selection 
 do  
         echo "$1"
 done  
   p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value to variable

Another newbie to Unix scripting Q.. How do you assign a value resulting from a command, such as awk, to a variable. I am currently trying:- $awk '{print $1}' file1 > variable1 with no change to $variable1. The line: $awk '{print $1}' file1 does print the first line of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting basename and dirname variable to simply script.

Hello all, Can somebody explain to me how set up a basename and dirname variable to simplify this script. I currently have a 'infile' with the contents of FTTPDataPVC_ & BaaisDSLFeed. I need to add a basename and or dirname variable so that any additions can be made through the infile and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a variable

hi all, in ksh, how do i assign the output of a find command to a variable, e.g am trying something like this : totalNoFiles=$(print find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log"); but when i echo $totalNoFiles it displays find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log" instead of the total number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

can we make a global variable and store character values and add other values to that variable ?? for example a="hello, John" and can we add value ". How are you? so a can have "hello, John. How are you?" can someone help me?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable?

Hi folks. I have this variable called FirstIN that contains something like this: 001,002,003,004... I am trying to assign the content of this variable into ModifiedIN but with the following format : 001 002 003 004...(changing the commas for spaces) I thought about using sed but i am not... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a variable

I have a date column as 06302015 but I need to have variable which extracts 063015. Am trying something like below but it is not assigning Please let me know if am missing something. Thanks in advance. ################################ #!/usr/bin/ksh DT=06302015 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

10. Programming

Basename for directory variable

hi all, trying to get this to work but im struggling abit and wondered if you can help me out basically i have created a variable base='basename $dir' echo "please specify full path to directory you want to be made into a tar" read -e dir tar -cf... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
7 Replies
basename(1)							   User Commands						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - deliver portions of path names SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/basename string [suffix] /usr/xpg4/bin/basename string [suffix] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in / and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the stan- dard output. It is normally used inside substitution marks (``) within shell procedures. /usr/bin The suffix is a pattern defined on the expr(1) manual page. /usr/xpg4/bin The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. The dirname utility delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting environment variables The following example, invoked with the argument /home/sms/personal/mail sets the environment variable NAME to the file named mail and the environment variable MYMAILPATH to the string /home/sms/personal: example% NAME=`basename $HOME/personal/mail` example% MYMAILPATH=`dirname $HOME/personal/mail` Example 2 Compiling a file and moving the output This shell procedure, invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c, compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current directory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of basename and dirname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expr(1), basename(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Mar 1997 basename(1)