Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot access saved file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot access saved file Post 303021169 by annacreek on Sunday 5th of August 2018 11:16:25 PM
Old 08-06-2018
Many thanks,
very clear explanation on how to retrieve and copy the tagged code block.

Appreciate that.

------ Post updated at 09:51 PM ------

Aia

thanks .

Exactly what I need.

Appreciate your post.

------ Post updated at 10:16 PM ------

Sorry for additional post.

There is a code in original scrip which checks for "path" and will post a message to that effect and exit if script is NOT run from root.

That tells me indirectly then I am executing the script, that's good.

But when I add "sudo" I get same no response as before.

That tells me that the check for "root" is what causing the no response - that's also good.

Now I know where the issue is and can hopefully fix it without further assistance from forum.

Thanks for all the support I had received, appreciate it.

Perhaps next time things will be different since I now know this is just another typical "we/us" forum where form / format is more important than customer's issue.

Cheers

Code:
Last login: Sun Aug  5 18:28:31 2018 from 10.0.1.41
pi@pi:~ $ ~/raspi-config.test
Debug add TEST Script must be run as root. Try 'sudo raspi-config'      GOOD 
pi@pi:~ $ sudo ~/raspi-config.test                                                     GOOD - stuck in script

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

only root's crontab gets not saved

Hi, Something funny is happening over here: when a regular user edits his cron-file (crontab -e) saves and exits vi the correct new cron-file gets installed and saved to disk. But if root does the same, vi saves it but if I then check the cron-file it has the previous contents! I did strace (==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo file not saved

Hi all, I have edited my sudoers file. I am using visudo command I have added the following lines and saved the file. I am saving the lines as :wq But I am very amazed to see that these lines are not written in the sudoers file. I have retried the above process many times, when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I identify the last saved log?

Our system produce logs when a script is run which may not be daily, the logs have a format: name_YYMMDD.log - both name and .log are consistent, date changes as per the day the script is run. Is there a way of finding the last saved log? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can STDERR be saved to a variable

Guys i'm trying to save STDERR to a variable for a portion of my ksh script on solaris. I know i can create redirects to files as such: exec 4>/tmp/lava print "This will be saved to /tmp/lava and not screen"; >&4 print "This will be seen on screen" >&2 I want to save the STDOUT of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Bluefish: where are the preferences saved?

I have just tried out Bluefish as an alternative to my regular text editor. If I save the modified preferences and reboot, the preferences have to be reentered again. Does anyone know which file the preferences are saved in? The command find / -mmin -5 | grep bluefish yields zero hits. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where alias saved?

step 1 # alias alias cp='cp -i' alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias ll='ls -l --color=tty' alias ls='ls --color=tty' alias mv='mv -i' alias rm='rm -i' alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' step 2 # cat ~/.bashrc # .bashrc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to open a saved file and modify the content

I am looking for a script where I need to open a file and modify the data like changing the parameters.Can anyone help me? open a file software.rsp . It already contains following data. parameter = false threads=100 user= demf The above should be changed to paramter=true thread= 133... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Not getting Saved

Hi , Script File Is Not Getting Saved This Are The Steps I Am Following For Saving And Executing A Script 1). vi ( To Open Vi Editor ) 2). vi filename ( vi firstprog.ksh) #!bin\kash date 3) !wq :( Saving And Quit) When I Am Saving The Scrpit I Am Getting The Below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squares in saved code

can you help i am merging 2 files together and saving to a third file with awk and its working with this code awk 'OFS="";NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {print a,"\n","\b",$0}' file1 file2 > file3the problem is in file3 when its saved i get a small square at the start of every 2nd line (see picture) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
6 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)