Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing a ? from multiple files Post 303020421 by tirmUK on Thursday 19th of July 2018 06:06:20 AM
Old 07-19-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan.chaman
Please try below command. It renames all files in directory/subdirectories.

Code:
 find . -type f -name "*?" | while read file; do mv "$file" "${file%?}"; done

Hi Chandan,

Unfortunately, it removes the last character from the file, no matter what it is, not just the carraige return.

---------- Post updated at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
That echo is for check / debug purposes; it displays what the commands had looked like when executed. I should have mentioned that. As you can see in the output, the <CR> (\r) character makes the target file name overwrite the mv command.

- pipe above through less for checking.
- Remove the echo and rerun.
Hi RubiC, that worked a treat, thank you for your help, and your patience as I tried to explain the issue!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing M^ from multiple files

to do this i usually type dos2unix <file> -o <file> and this will remove the M^ from the end of each file. well i have over 100 files that someone copied that i need. how do i remove the M^. i saw a perl script but i am not familiar with .pl at all really (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing non-printable chars from multiple files

How do I remove non-printable characters from all txt files and output the results to one file? I've tried the following: tr -cd '\n' < *.txt > out.txt and it gives ambiguous redirect error. How can I get it to operate on all txt files in the current directory and append the output to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revax
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: removing blank lines from multiple files

Hi Guru's , I have a whole bunch of files in /var/tmp that i need to strip any blank lines from, so ive written the following script to identify the lines (which works perfectly).. but i wanted to know, how can I actually strip the identified lines from the actual source files ?? my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing matching text from multiple files with a shell script

Hello all, I am in need of assistance in creating a script that will remove a specified block of text from multiple .htaccess files. (roughly 1000 files) I am attempting to help with a project to clean up a linux server that has a series of unwanted url rewrites in place, as well as some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxx
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Lines Shared by Multiple Files

Hey everyone, I have a question about comparing two files. I have two lists of files. The first list, todo.csv, lists a series of compounds my supervisor wants me to perform calculations on. The second list, done.csv, lists a series of compounds that I have already performed calculations on.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple Files by removing characters

Hi I would like to rename Multiple files in a Unix Directory using Ksh Command. Eg ATT8-2011-10-01 00:00:00-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF needs to be renamed as ATT8-2011-10-01-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF Basically the time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing characters from beginning of multiple files

Hi, I have been searching how to do this but I can't seem to find how to do it. Hopefully someone can help. I have multiplr files, 100's example 12345-zxys.213423.zyz.txt. I want to be able to take all these files and remove the first '12345-' from each of the files. '12345-' these characters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)