Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Update to Navbar - Member Info and Avatars Post 303020399 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 18th of July 2018 10:50:31 AM
Old 07-18-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Hey Dennis,

Thanks. The reason you were getting some delays is because the site was recently hit by some rogue A6-Index bots which sucked so much data per second that the load average on our mega server shot up to 50+.

This is kinda off topic related to the UI, so forgive me if I sound like a busy developer:

The "New Topics" function is the same PHP function as it has always been and has not changed and is not effected by UI CSS or related JS changes to the UI. "New Topics" is based on a user cookie and the time between your logins, and if there are no "New Topics" because of the timestamp in your cookie versus the time of any newer posts, then you will see a kind of redirection and it has been this way for 10 years, nothing has changed. There will also be issues if, for any reason, a browser has blocked a cookie or a cookie is not set properly due to a time-out or other network issue.

I rarely use "New Topics" for this reason, and I always use "Today's Posts" because this function is not cookie based, but it based on just the days new posts.

These PHP issues (core functionality) are not really UI related, so it should be in a different thread, but I'm trying not to sound like a developer (too much, LOL) who is being too technical.

To be clear, I have not made any changes to any underlying PHP code which effects any functions like search, or posting, etc. I am currently only working on code which effects the browser UI (CSS and Javascript manipulation of the DOM). This is already a monumental task, so I it does help me manage my developing time (which is very busy) if we stick to UI topics for in my UI threads.

Cheers.
Yep, but that doesn't answer my question. I do a fresh login, assume that I do "mark all forums read", then select "New Topics" and DO NOTHING. It says "Sorry there are no new topics" but should it then move to the "Advanced Search Forums" page after 10+ seconds all on its own?????

Is that behaviour by design???
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Just wondering why the board is configured not to show any avatars in the post displays? I haven't seen anyone else asking this question and there is no mention of it by the admins anywhere (correct me if I am wrong).... A little bit of playfulness would do unix.com good :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how do i get those avatars on the bottom of my user name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grizzly1
2 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Update my info

I hadn't logged on here in several months. I want to update my info, such as the email address that I can be contacted at, but I don't see any links to do that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleopard
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Update to Posts - Member Info Icon and Badge

Hey, Upgrade (step 1) the posts, by putting a "user info" icon in the top right and making it so it toggles the user info. The user info icon has a badge which shows the number of posts. I will have to dig around in the code more to get the total posts thanks and other badges working; but... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
22 Replies

5. Web Development

Update to Member List - New Click Options

FYI, Have updated our memberlist : https://www.unix.com/members/list/?order=DESC&sort=lastvisit&pp=30 $cat memberlist.php ... 375 // added next line by neo 15 Nov 2018 376 $condition .= ' AND credits > 0'; ... The reason for this change is insure the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
ldi_ev_get_type(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				       ldi_ev_get_type(9F)

NAME
ldi_ev_get_type - get event name string from event cookie SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sunldi.h> int ldi_ev_get_type(ldi_ev_cookie_t cookie); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) PARAMETERS
ldi_ev_cookie_t cookie An opaque event cookie for the event type returned by a previous call to ldi_ev_get_cookie(9F). DESCRIPTION
The ldi_ev_get_type() function returns the event string represented by the LDI event cookie "cookie". RETURN VALUES
On success, this function returns the event string represented by "cookie". On failure, this function returns NULL. CONTEXT
This function can be called from user and kernel contexts only. SEE ALSO
ldi_ev_get_cookie(9F), ldi_ev_register_callbacks(9F), ldi_ev_remove_callbacks(9F) SunOS 5.11 21 Aug 2007 ldi_ev_get_type(9F)