Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Subsitute string in file 1 by line n of file 2 Post 303019164 by RavinderSingh13 on Sunday 24th of June 2018 11:43:52 AM
Old 06-24-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernono06
Hello RavinderSingh13,
Thanks but it is not working. With this script, the replacement takes place in the second field of the four 4th lines of the files, and all other 2nd fields of the remaining lines are removed.
I need to mention that there are lines above and below the strings I need to replace.
Supernono06
Hello supernono06,

So I am assuming 2 things here.

1st: You want to do replacement wherever string keyword is found on lines of Input_file1.

2nd: I am assuming that in case number of lines are lesser in Input_file2 than Input_file1(means keywords strings are coming more than the numbers in Input_file2) then once it reaches it last value(from Input_file2) then again it should start from beginning in Input_file2 values.

Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{a[FNR]=$0;val++;next} {count==val?"":count} /string/{print $1,a[++count];next} 1'  Input_file2  Input_file1

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subsitute from a position till end of line.

Hi, Having a following file's content, lets say: ABC|ANA|LDJ|||||DKD|||||| AJJ|KKDD||KKDK|||||||||||| KKD||KD|||LLLD||||LLD||||| Problem: Need to replace pipes from 8th occurrence of pipe till end. so the result should be: ABC|ANA|LDJ|||||DKD AJJ|KKDD||KKDK|||| ------- ------- ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Noprofi
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi I am not the best scripter in the world and have run into a issue which you might be able to guide me on... I have two files. File1 : A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB File2: C345,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two string in two separate file and delete some line of file

Hi all i want to write program with shell script that able compare two file content and if one of lines of file have # at the first of string or nothing find same string in one of two file . remove the line in second file that have not the string in first file. for example: file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleh67
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace line in file with line in another file based on matching string

HI Can any one guide me how to achieve this task. I have 2 files env.txt #Configuration.Properties values identity_server_url = http://identity.test-hit.com:9783/identity/service/user/register randon_password_length = 6 attachment_file_path = /pass/temp/attachments/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikilbr86
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If the 1th column of file f1 and file f2 is the same, then export those line with maximum string of

please help to write a awk command-line programs to achieve the following functions: Thank in advance. Requeset Description: compare two files f1 and f2, export to file f3: 1 Delete duplicate rows of in file f1 and file f2 2 If the 1th column of file f1 and file f2 is the same, then export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weichanghe2000
1 Replies
sccsfile(4)							   File Formats 						       sccsfile(4)

NAME
sccsfile - format of an SCCS history file DESCRIPTION
An SCCS file is an ASCII file consisting of six logical parts: checksum Character count used for error detection. delta table Log containing version info and statistics about each delta. usernames Login names and/or group IDs of users who may add deltas. flags Definitions of internal keywords. comments Arbitrary descriptive information about the file. body the Actual text lines intermixed with control lines. Each section is described in detail below. Conventions Throughout an SCCS file there are lines which begin with the ASCII SOH (start of heading) character (octal 001). This character is here- after referred to as the control character, and will be represented as `^A'. If a line described below is not depicted as beginning with the control character, it cannot do so and still be within SCCS file format. Entries of the form ddddd represent a five digit string (a number between 00000 and 99999). Checksum The checksum is the first line of an SCCS file. The form of the line is: ^A hddddd The value of the checksum is the sum of all characters, except those contained in the first line. The ^Ah provides a magic number of (octal) 064001. Delta Table The delta table consists of a variable number of entries of the form: ^As inserted/deleted/unchanged ^Ad type sid yr/mo/da hr:mi:se username serial-number predecessor-sn ^Ai include-list ^Ax exclude-list ^Ag ignored-list ^Am mr-number ... ^Ac comments ... ... ^Ae The first line (^As) contains the number of lines inserted/deleted/unchanged respectively. The second line (^Ad) contains the type of the delta (normal: D and removed: R), the SCCS ID of the delta, the date and time of creation of the delta, the user-name corresponding to the real user ID at the time the delta was created, and the serial numbers of the delta and its predecessor, respectively. The ^Ai, ^Ax, and ^Ag lines contain the serial numbers of deltas included, excluded, and ignored, respectively. These lines do not always appear. The ^Am lines (optional) each contain one MR number associated with the delta. The ^Ac lines contain comments associated with the delta. The ^Ae line ends the delta table entry. User Names The list of user-names and/or numerical group IDs of users who may add deltas to the file, separated by NEWLINE characters. The lines con- taining these login names and/or numerical group IDs are surrounded by the bracketing lines ^Au and ^AU. An empty list allows anyone to make a delta. Flags Flags are keywords that are used internally (see sccs-admin(1) for more information on their use). Each flag line takes the form: ^Af flag optional text The following flags are defined in order of appearance: ^Af t type-of-program Defines the replacement for the %T% ID keyword. ^Af v program-name Controls prompting for MR numbers in addition to comments. If the optional text is present, it defines an MR number validity checking program. ^Af i Indicates that the `No id keywords' message is to generate an error that terminates the SCCS command. Otherwise, the message is treated as a warning only. ^Af b Indicates that the -b option may be used with the SCCS get command to create a branch in the delta tree. ^Af m module-name Defines the first choice for the replacement text of the %M% ID keyword. ^Af f floor Defines the "floor" release, that is, the release below which no deltas may be added. ^Af c ceiling Defines the "ceiling" release, that is, the release above which no deltas may be added. ^Af d default-sid The d flag defines the default SID to be used when none is specified on an SCCS get command. ^Af n The n flag enables the SCCS delta command to insert a "null" delta (a delta that applies no changes) in those releases that are skipped when a delta is made in a new release (for example, when delta 5.1 is made after delta 2.7, releases 3 and 4 are skipped). ^Af j Enables the SCCS get command to allow concurrent edits of the same base SID. ^Af l lock-releases Defines a list of releases that are locked against editing. ^Af q user-defined Defines the replacement for the %Q% ID keyword. ^Af e 0|1 The e flag indicates whether a source file is encoded or not. A 1 indicates that the file is encoded. Source files need to be encoded when they contain control characters, or when they do not end with a NEWLINE. The e flag allows files that contain binary data to be checked in. Comments Arbitrary text surrounded by the bracketing lines ^At and ^AT. The comments section typically will contain a description of the file's pur- pose. Body The body consists of text lines and control lines. Text lines do not begin with the control character, control lines do. There are three kinds of control lines: insert, delete, and end, represented by: ^AI ddddd ^AD ddddd ^AE ddddd respectively. The digit string is the serial number corresponding to the delta for the control line. SEE ALSO
sccs-admin(1), sccs-cdc(1), sccs-comb(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-help(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), sccs-rmdel(1), sccs-sact(1), sccs-sccsdiff(1), sccs-unget(1), sccs-val(1), sccs(1), what(1) SunOS 5.10 30 Sep 2002 sccsfile(4)