Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing bash loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing bash loop Post 303019053 by murugesandins on Friday 22nd of June 2018 06:01:09 AM
Old 06-22-2018
You can use /bin/egrep or /bin/grep -E
Code:
$ /bin/egrep "19\/Jun\/2018:07:04|21\/Jun\/2018:21:30" datafile | /bin/egrep -v "^$"
41.27.21.19 - - [19/Jun/2018:07:04:28 +0000]
41.27.21.19 - - [21/Jun/2018:21:30:28 +0000]
$ /bin/egrep Murugesan datafile | /bin/egrep -v "^$"
$ Ret=$?
$ if [ $Ret -eq 0 ]
  then
    echo Pass result
  else
    echo Fail result
  fi
Fail result
$ /bin/grep -E "19\/Jun\/2018:07:04|21\/Jun\/2018:21:30" datafile | /bin/grep -E -v "^$"
41.27.21.19 - - [19/Jun/2018:07:04:28 +0000]
41.27.21.19 - - [21/Jun/2018:21:30:28 +0000]
$

Last edited by murugesandins; 06-22-2018 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Replaced \: With :
This User Gave Thanks to murugesandins For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple loop in Bash

Hi, I want to do a simple loop where I have one column of text in a file and I want the loop to read each line of the file and do a simple command. The text file will be something like this: hostname1 hostname2 hostname3 hostname4 I am using Bash and have already come up with this to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If loop in bash

Hello, I have a script that runs a series of commands. Halfway through the script, I want it to check whether everything is going alright: if it is, to proceed with the script, if it isn't to repeat the last step until it gets it right. My code so far looks like this, simplified a bit: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash For Loop Help

This is a short program I wrote to search through a directory and move files containing the keyword to a folder. #!/bin/bash echo 'What is the directory?' read DIR echo -e '\n' echo 'What is the keyword?' read KEY echo -e '\n' cd $DIR rmdir 'relevant_files' mkdir 'relevant_files'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenyoul
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up bash loop?

I am running the below bash loop on all the files of a specific type (highlighted in bold) in a directory. There are 4 awk commands that use the input files to search another and look for a match. The input files range from 27 - 259 and are a list of names. The file that is searched is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash script

any way the following code can be optimized? FIRSTIN=$( HKIPP=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep -v "mo|MO|Mo" | egrep "m |M ") HRAMH=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "h|H") HRAMD=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "d|D") HRAMW=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "w|W") HKIPPO=$(echo ${TMFR} |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on for loop in bash

Hi, In the code "for loop" has been used to search for files (command line arguments) in directories and then produce the result to the standard output. However, I want when no files are named on the command line, it should read a list of files from standard input and it should use the command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ra26k
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing for loop with awk or anything similar and portable

The variable COUNTPRO contains: COUNTPRO='Error__posting__message__to__EMR__Queue=0 Error__parsing__ReceiptSummary=0 xinetd__=4327 HTTP__1_1__500___=0 START__=2164 Marshaller__exception__while__converting__to__Receipt__xml=0 MessagePublisher__is__not__configured__correctly=0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -e pattern_list [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -f file [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] pattern [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] -e pattern_list [-f file] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] [-e pattern_list] -f file [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] pattern [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes (a'). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/fgrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep only: -q Quiet. Does not write anything to the standard output, regardless of matching lines. Exits with zero status if an input line is selected. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.11 24 Mar 2006 fgrep(1)