Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt regarding stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt regarding stderr Post 303018565 by RudiC on Sunday 10th of June 2018 02:28:04 PM
Old 06-10-2018
Which is difficult to believe.

Please
- tell your OS and shell versions
- show your command
- post the contents of filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

precedence of stderr and stdout

#!/usr/bin/perl open(STDOUT, ">>$Textfile") open(STDERR, ">>$Textfile") print "program running\n"; $final = join("+", $initial,$final) #5 close (STDOUT); close (STDERR);Hi all, above is my perl code. Notice i have captured the stdout and stderr to the same textfile. my code is expected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies

10. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)