Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reducing / on rootvg
Operating Systems AIX Reducing / on rootvg Post 303018379 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 5th of June 2018 07:03:33 AM
Old 06-05-2018
Not a straightforward fix, I'm afraid. I don't think you can reduce the filesystem in a simple way. If it is in-use, then there is pretty much no chance.

I've done this on Linux and it's messy. I ended up having to boot from media and forcing it from there, but I can't remember if AIX let's you do that anyway. If I was to be faced with this on AIX, then I would have two options but both of them are effectively Disaster Recovery options:-
An alternate to the first one might be to use savevg & restvg whilst adjusting the LV description file, but it's essentially the same.

They are pretty serious and obviously requires a chunk of down-time (as does the way I did with Linux) however you might be able to use one of these methods to clone your server to alternate hardware (or LPAR) and attach the application/data disks to it.

I'm sorry, but it's not a nice place to be.

When you say that you want to migrate hd10opt, may I ask why? I would hope that this is mirrored, or has someone managed to remove the mirrors to give themselves lots of free space to grow in to? Are these real, local disks? If they are virtualised by something, does that protect you against hardware failure? It might be, but that can be done wrong too.

Can you share the output from:-
Code:
lsvg -p rootvg
lsvg -l rootvg
lspv -l hdisk0    (and hdisk1)
lscfg -vl hdisk0

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for reducing logs

Hi, I'm not good in scripting, maybe someone can help me. I need to delete the lines that contains the last month date from a text file. Each line has the following date format: So the script should check the actual month, and delete all the lines that contains the past month. The script runs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. AIX

Reducing Lvol on AIX5.3

Hi folks, I known how to incrase and reduce File System size on AIX 5.3, but my issue is that I have a Logical Volume without any filesystem. So, how to shrink just the logical volume ? Thanks, Livio. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Livio
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reducing file names

I have a script which includes an FTP. The filename is too long for my target area. The filename is HD012_ABCD_EFGH_061004_F_300_40. I need to the filename to be HD012_ABCD_EFGH_061004_F_. Any ideas. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1s
5 Replies

4. AIX

Cloned Rootvg

New Question: The purpose of an alternate disk install is in my opinion to have a ready-to-use-backup and i've read that it is possible to install filesets or software on the cloned disk for testing purposal while the normal system is still running. The question is: how do you tell AIX (5.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

reducing /usr HP-UX 11i

Hi, I've entered the HP-UX 11i server in single user mode, and increased the filesystem /usr by mistake using lvextend -l 3092 /dev/vg00/lvol7 extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvol7 I put small letter "l" instead of "L". and as a result of this mistake the /usr take all the free space in the volume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elshamy_s
2 Replies

6. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing Backup Time

$ /backup_restore/backupDatabase -b 128 -s 45056000 -non-interactive The above command is usually ran through cron on a daily basis. However it takes 2hrs to complete. The tape is usually inserted into the V890 server, and cron kicks off the backup around 1:10AM. It completes around 3:30 -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
0 Replies

8. AIX

Anyone know how to access rootvg?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with an AIX system here. I have no experience with system administration of IBM stuff. Our local admin is ... um ... not available at this time. I found something online that said enter service mode - How the heck do I do that??? Why is IBM stuff lack proper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

9. AIX

extendvg and rootvg

When attempting to extend rootvg to a new physical disk I received the following message: 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 64 requires the creation of 1093 partitions for hdisk5. The limitation for volume group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Reducing threads on T5140

Hi All, We have a T5140 server which has 128 threads in total. Is it possible to reduce the number of threads per core through some configuration changes? I am sorry for being so naive but I am one on this. Why would I like to do this? Unfortunately we have this for an Oracle Database Server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENKITACHALAMS8
6 Replies
fribidi_set_mirroring(3)					Programmer's Manual					  fribidi_set_mirroring(3)

NAME
fribidi_set_mirroring - set mirroring on or off SYNOPSIS
#include <fribidi.h> fribidi_boolean fribidi_set_mirroring(fribidi_boolean state); PARAMETERS
fribidi_boolean state New state to set. DESCRIPTION
This function is used to turn character mirroring on or off. Character mirroring is the act of replacing a mirrorable glyph (character), eg. Left paranthesis, with the matching glyph, eg. Right paranthesis, in a right-to-left resolved context. If your rendering engine does mirroring itself, you may want to turn it off here. This flag is on by default. This function is deprecated and only used with other deprecated functions. RETURNS
The new mirroring status. SEE ALSO
fribidi_charset_to_unicode(3), fribidi_unicode_to_charset(3), fribidi_parse_charset(3), fribidi_shape_arabic(3), fribidi_get_par_direc- tion(3), fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels(3), fribidi_reorder_line(3), fribidi_get_bidi_type(3), fribidi_get_bidi_types(3), fribidi_get_bidi_type_name(3), fribidi_debug_status(3), fribidi_mirroring_status(3), fribidi_reorder_nsm_status(3), fribidi_set_reorder_nsm(3), fribidi_log2vis_get_embedding_levels(3), fribidi_get_type(3), fribidi_get_type_internal(3), fribidi_remove_bidi_marks(3), fribidi_log2vis(3), fribidi_join_arabic(3), fribidi_get_joining_type(3), fribidi_get_joining_types(3), fribidi_get_joining_type_name(3), fribidi_get_mirror_char(3), fribidi_shape_mirroring(3), fribidi_shape(3) GNU FriBidi 0.19.2 30 January 2006 fribidi_set_mirroring(3)