Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reducing / on rootvg
Operating Systems AIX Reducing / on rootvg Post 303018356 by mrmurdock on Monday 4th of June 2018 01:23:42 PM
Old 06-04-2018
Reducing / on rootvg

The root filesystem was mirrored, someone/something stopped mirroring, and increased / and /home to ridiculous values (/ got increased to 102gb and its only using 4.3gb, so 98gb is free). Can I reduce the / (/dev/hd4) filesytem down WITHOUT corrupting the the OS?
I would do a: chfs -a size=10g /dev/hd4.

This is AIX 6.1 TL9 SP8 (6100-09-08-1642). I would even reduce the Filesystem size by 1gb @10 times if I had to.

The ultimate end is to remove hdisk1 from the rootvg and re-add it back as a mirror.

These are 146gb disks
lsvg -l rootvg (and added up the PP's) shows I have 538PP's allocated, with 7PP free with a PPsize of 256mb (which is 1.7gb approx.). hd10opt is occupying 40PP's and is on hdisk1 (as seen with lslv -l hd10opt)

I have already reduced /home to only occupy hdisk0 (as shown with lslv -m hd9). / is on hdisk 0 as well.

I need to migratepv -l hd10opt hdisk1 hdisk0 but it reports not enough space (of course due to only 1.7gb free on hdisk0).

Code:
VG STATE:           active                   PP SIZE:        256 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION:      read/write               TOTAL PPs:      1092 (279552 megabytes)
MAX LVs:            256                      FREE PPs:       513 (131328 megabytes)
LVs:                13                       USED PPs:       579 (148224 megabytes)
OPEN LVs:           11                       QUORUM:         2 (Enabled)
TOTAL PVs:          2                        VG DESCRIPTORS: 3
STALE PVs:          0                        STALE PPs:      0
ACTIVE PVs:         2                        AUTO ON:        yes
MAX PPs per VG:     32512                                     
MAX PPs per PV:     1016                     MAX PVs:        32

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for reducing logs

Hi, I'm not good in scripting, maybe someone can help me. I need to delete the lines that contains the last month date from a text file. Each line has the following date format: So the script should check the actual month, and delete all the lines that contains the past month. The script runs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. AIX

Reducing Lvol on AIX5.3

Hi folks, I known how to incrase and reduce File System size on AIX 5.3, but my issue is that I have a Logical Volume without any filesystem. So, how to shrink just the logical volume ? Thanks, Livio. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Livio
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reducing file names

I have a script which includes an FTP. The filename is too long for my target area. The filename is HD012_ABCD_EFGH_061004_F_300_40. I need to the filename to be HD012_ABCD_EFGH_061004_F_. Any ideas. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1s
5 Replies

4. AIX

Cloned Rootvg

New Question: The purpose of an alternate disk install is in my opinion to have a ready-to-use-backup and i've read that it is possible to install filesets or software on the cloned disk for testing purposal while the normal system is still running. The question is: how do you tell AIX (5.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

reducing /usr HP-UX 11i

Hi, I've entered the HP-UX 11i server in single user mode, and increased the filesystem /usr by mistake using lvextend -l 3092 /dev/vg00/lvol7 extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvol7 I put small letter "l" instead of "L". and as a result of this mistake the /usr take all the free space in the volume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elshamy_s
2 Replies

6. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing Backup Time

$ /backup_restore/backupDatabase -b 128 -s 45056000 -non-interactive The above command is usually ran through cron on a daily basis. However it takes 2hrs to complete. The tape is usually inserted into the V890 server, and cron kicks off the backup around 1:10AM. It completes around 3:30 -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
0 Replies

8. AIX

Anyone know how to access rootvg?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with an AIX system here. I have no experience with system administration of IBM stuff. Our local admin is ... um ... not available at this time. I found something online that said enter service mode - How the heck do I do that??? Why is IBM stuff lack proper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

9. AIX

extendvg and rootvg

When attempting to extend rootvg to a new physical disk I received the following message: 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 64 requires the creation of 1093 partitions for hdisk5. The limitation for volume group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Reducing threads on T5140

Hi All, We have a T5140 server which has 128 threads in total. Is it possible to reduce the number of threads per core through some configuration changes? I am sorry for being so naive but I am one on this. Why would I like to do this? Unfortunately we have this for an Oracle Database Server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENKITACHALAMS8
6 Replies
fribidi_get_mirror_char(3)					Programmer's Manual					fribidi_get_mirror_char(3)

NAME
fribidi_get_mirror_char - get mirrored character SYNOPSIS
#include <fribidi.h> fribidi_boolean fribidi_get_mirror_char ( FriBidiChar ch, FriBidiChar *mirrored_ch ); PARAMETERS
FriBidiChar ch Input character. FriBidiChar *mirrored_ch Output mirrored character. DESCRIPTION
This function finds the mirrored equivalent of a character as defined in the file BidiMirroring.txt of the Unicode Character Database available at http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/BidiMirroring.txt. If the input character is a declared as a mirroring character in the Unicode standard and has a mirrored equivalent. The matching mir- rored character is put in the output, otherwise the input character itself is put. RETURNS
If the character has a mirroring equivalent or not. SEE ALSO
fribidi_charset_to_unicode(3), fribidi_unicode_to_charset(3), fribidi_parse_charset(3), fribidi_shape_arabic(3), fribidi_get_par_direc- tion(3), fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels(3), fribidi_reorder_line(3), fribidi_get_bidi_type(3), fribidi_get_bidi_types(3), fribidi_get_bidi_type_name(3), fribidi_debug_status(3), fribidi_mirroring_status(3), fribidi_set_mirroring(3), fribidi_reorder_nsm_sta- tus(3), fribidi_set_reorder_nsm(3), fribidi_log2vis_get_embedding_levels(3), fribidi_get_type(3), fribidi_get_type_internal(3), fribidi_remove_bidi_marks(3), fribidi_log2vis(3), fribidi_join_arabic(3), fribidi_get_joining_type(3), fribidi_get_joining_types(3), fribidi_get_joining_type_name(3), fribidi_shape_mirroring(3), fribidi_shape(3) GNU FriBidi 0.19.3 25 August 2012 fribidi_get_mirror_char(3)