Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers One parent, multiple children pipe with fork() Post 303017920 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of May 2018 03:25:36 PM
Old 05-24-2018
In short, how fork() really works:

Code:
pid_t pid=fork();

if(pid < 0)
{
    perror("couldn't fork");
    exit(1);
}

if(pid == 0) {
        // Child code
        do_stuff();
        exit(0);
}

// Parent code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to creat 1 parent to call 3 children

hi there, im trying to produce this program that would run at first, and when it runs it will fork one child process to a program and then another forking to run this other program, and then another one . i cant seem to get it right can someone help me please here is what is got so far: int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zmanultra
1 Replies

2. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

3. Programming

Problems with child comunicating with parent on fork()

Hello, I'm trying to implement a version of a bucketSort (kinda) server/client, but I'm having a VERY hard time on making the server behave correctly, when talking to the children, after it forks. The server is kinda big (300+ lines), so I won't post it here, but here's what I'm doing. 1)create a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork() 1 Parent 3 Children

Hi, as I understand fork(), it makes a copy of the parent which becomes a child. But is there anyway to make three children for that one parent. So in other words, if I look up the getppid() of the children, I want them to have the same value?? Thanks in advance to any help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS_CC
1 Replies

5. Programming

pipe-fork-execve

Hi everyone , after a pipe() system call i've forked and entred into the child process to execve a shell script .the problem here is that when the execve sys call fail , i want to send the error code (eg errno) to the parent process using the pipe writer side p , there is nothing received in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtremejames183
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a pipe using parent and child processes

Hello, I am trying to create a pipe that will direct stdout to in side of the pipe, and stdin to the out side of the pipe - I created two child processes to handle this. However, my pipe doesn't seem to be working correctly. Did I use execv() correctly? Command1 and command2 represent the two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jre247
3 Replies

7. Programming

parent called more times - fork - C language

Hi gurus can you explain following lines of code ? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <errno.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> int main(void) { pid_t pid; int rv; switch(pid = fork()) { case -1: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
7 Replies

8. Programming

Timed action after fork() in parent process

Assume you have such a piece of (more or less pseudo-)code: if(fork() == 0) {// childprocess chmod(someProgram, 00777); exec(someProgram); } else { // assume it never fails and this is the parent chmod(someProgram, 00000); // should be executed as soon as possible after the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
5 Replies

9. Programming

Multiple children and single pipe

Greetings everyone, I need a bit of help in solving the following problem: I'm given an array of numbers and I have to compute the sum of the array elements using n processes, and the inter process communication has to be done with pipes(one pipe, to be exact). I managed to solve the problem... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ephesos
14 Replies

10. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies
setpgid(2)							   System Calls 							setpgid(2)

NAME
setpgid - set process group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setpgid(pid_t pid, pid_t pgid); DESCRIPTION
The setpgid() function sets the process group ID of the process with ID pid to pgid. If pgid is equal to pid, the process becomes a process group leader. See intro(2) for more information on session leaders and process group leaders. If pgid is not equal to pid, the process becomes a member of an existing process group. If pid is equal to 0, the process ID of the calling process is used. If pgid is equal to 0, the process specified by pid becomes a process group leader. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setpgid() function will fail if: EACCES The pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process has successfully executed one of the exec family of functions (see exec(2)). EINVAL The pgid argument is less than (pid_t) 0 or greater than or equal to PID_MAX, or the calling process has a controlling ter- minal that does not support job control. EPERM The process indicated by the pid argument is a session leader. EPERM The pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process is not in the same session as the calling process. EPERM The pgid argument does not match the process ID of the process indicated by the pid argument, and there is no process with a process group ID that matches pgid in the same session as the calling process. ESRCH The pid argument does not match the process ID of the calling process or of a child process of the calling process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(2), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), getpid(2), getsid(2), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 setpgid(2)