Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append header with awk
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Append header with awk Post 303017105 by RudiC on Wednesday 9th of May 2018 05:35:48 AM
Old 05-09-2018
Why not
Code:
awk 'NR == 1 {print "START OF LINE"} 1' file

?

EDIT: or
Code:
[ -s "$FILE" ] && { echo "START OF LINE"; cat "$FILE"; }

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append Header and Trailer

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix programming. My inquries is:- a) How to add a Header and Trailer in the set of data b) Include a number count of the data in the trailer The set of data only contained the information of 'Customer's Name' and 'Account Number'. I would like to add the Header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balzzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Spaces At end of each line Leaving Header and Footer

How to append constant No of spaces suppose 52 at end of each line in a file (xyz) excluding first and last line. Please Help me out for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Header in CSV file

Hi, I create a csv file and the output looks like below Arun,E001 Sathish,E003 Now i need to include the below header and the output should like below Name,Number Arun,E001 Sathish,E003 Please guide me. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Header from File 1 to File 2

Hi All, I am relatively new to scripting and am stuck on this problem, having tried many combinations of sed and awk. I am generating XML files ('File 2' - 20101214_1800_111_CODE.XML) which contain XML from line 1 starting with <REPORT> I need to insert a header for each file from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArtVandelay71
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pull date from header and append to all records

I did some searches, but couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I have a file formatted as below: BOF ABC CO - XYZ COMM DATA OF 07/05/2011 EBA00000001 sdfa rtyus uyml EBB00000001 54682 984w3 EBA00000002 mkiyuasdf 98234 I want to pull the date from the header record and add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keeferb
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append column and row header to a file in awk script.

Hi! Is there a way to append column and row header to a file in awk script. For example if I have Jane F 39 manager Carlos M 40 system administrator Sam F 20 programmer and I want it to be # name gend age occup 1 Jane F 39 manager 2 Carlos M ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Append an header to a tab delimited file

Dear All, I would like to find an automatic way to add a given code which belong to a class at the end of the column , for example this is my input file: 0610009O20Rik V$VMYB_01 310 (+) 1 0.971 v-Myb V$EVI1_04 782 (-) 0.763 0.834 Evi-1 V$ELK1_02 1966 (-) 1 0.984 Elk-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to append both at header and footer of a file

currently I've a file Insert into CD_CARD_TYPE (CODE, DESCRIPTION, LAST_UPDATE_BY, LAST_UPDATE_DATE) Values ('024', '024', 2, sysdate); Insert into CD_CARD_TYPE (CODE, DESCRIPTION, LAST_UPDATE_BY, LAST_UPDATE_DATE) Values ('032', '032', 2, sysdate); ........ is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Entering a newline into a header in awk

I want to create a header with awk like this: gawk 'BEGIN {print "List of Events"} Desired output: List of Events Tennis Baseball But I am at a loss on how to do this. I can make a list like this: List of Events Tennis Baseball But I can't get a space to appear. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append pipe | at the end of all the rows except header n trailer for all the files under a directory

Hi Experts Need help... I am looking for a Unix script to append pipe | at the end of all the rows (except header and trailer)in all the files placed under the directory /interfaces/Temp e.g. Header row1 row2 row3 Trailer The script should read all the files under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
3 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)