Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash syntax problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash syntax problem Post 303017104 by RudiC on Wednesday 9th of May 2018 05:29:19 AM
Old 05-09-2018
If you know programming languages like C or java, you are able to cope with (bourne type) shells. The logics is not too different from the formers', the syntax might be. It's just a matter of exercise. If copy / pasted code doesn't work for you, you indeed should compare the versions. All shells, be it bash or ksh or what have you, evolve over time, and functionality found in recent ones may not be available in older versions. Same is true between shells - although bash and ksh both are descendants of the original sh, and are generally compatible with each other, there are parts in each that don't work in the other.
Run your code, and post it as well as shell version, results and errors in here to be analysed and commented on.

Last edited by RudiC; 05-09-2018 at 08:03 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris bash syntax different from Linux?

I have a script that's meant to check the disk usage on a particular volume and delete the oldest logfile if it's over a certain percentage. It runs fine on a Linux machine, but on a Solaris one, I get this error: diskspace_check.sh: syntax error at line 3: `diskspace=$' unexpected I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cara_k
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax issue mysql in bash script

I'm running mysql in a bash script mysql <<EOF query EOF one query is like this: UPDATE $dbname.$prefix"config" SET value = $var WHERE "$prefix"config.name = 'table colname'; with variable but it's giving an error i'm not sure what to put for "$prefix"config.name the table... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [

Hello. In the following : RESTORE_FF contain a file name : a_file.tar.gz I am testing in a directory if "a_file.tar.gz" exists and or if any file like "a_file.tar.gz" exists. So "a_file.tar.gz" will give me file exists So "a_file.tar.gz." will give me file exists So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

6. Web Development

Bash Script, ec2addtag syntax?

ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=$nameinst; It should execute ec2addtag --region us-west-1 vol1234 --tag Name=webserver; Instead it thinks that Name is equal to that variable. Please help. Thanks! Please use code tags! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax

Hello, I have seen this syntax, { ;;};quite often and I don't know what it means exactly. It seems like a distinctive thing of Bash, so it's been used for the logo of the last bug, ShellShock: All you need to know about the Bash Bug vulnerability | Symantec Connect I have also seen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function using variable in it syntax error

The below bash function uses multiple variables CODING, SAMPLE, SURVEY, andvariant in it. The user selects the cap function and details are displayed on the screen using the $SURVEY variable, the directory is changed to $SAMPLE and the samples.txt is opened so the user can select the sample to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet. for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ )) do first=${barr2} search=${barr1} echo $first echo "loop begins" for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ )) do if } == $search ]]; then echo $j break; fi done second=${harr2} echo $second (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)