Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using flar
Operating Systems Solaris Using flar Post 303017100 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 9th of May 2018 05:16:26 AM
Old 05-09-2018
Depends what you mean by "provision"?

Flash is usually used (1) for disaster recovery and/or (2) to clone a system.

Whether recovery or cloning the new system has the same node name, ip configuration, and other configs as the original. Be aware of that.

Why don't you want to do a fresh install?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Flar Images

I once found a document on the web describing how to build partition flar images instead of having just the one large one. I have managed this but am having problems extracting the subsequent flar archives. I ahve built the system from a jumpstart server and now need to add the program images etc... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 58fairlane
0 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to create flar

Hello friend, Now i'm doing JDS3.1 in v440 servers.while checking the lustatus command getiing out like this lustatus Boot Environment Is Active Active Can Copy Name Complete Now On Reboot Delete Status -------------------------- --------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjay.com
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart / Flar problems Solaris 10 8/07

Hi, Im trying to make a jumpstart dvd using an flar archive. I have done this before on earlier releases of Solaris 10 (Sparc). Im now trying to do the same with the 8/07 release.. Problem : After the server is installed (during first boot ) the Select keyboard layout dialog appears. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s93366
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Jumpstart with flars: looking for /tmp/flar

I'm a little stumped here. If anyone has seen this, please point me in the right direction Little background first: I maintain a Solaris corporate build, currently based on Solaris 10u4 (08/07). This build is deployed using flars through jumpstart, wanboot, and jumpstart DVD. In the lab, I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: System Shock
1 Replies

5. Solaris

FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape: root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
2 Replies

6. Solaris

flar on linux???

Hi admins, As we can create flash archieve on solaris with flarcreate command utility, so is there any utility like this on Linux to create flah archieves ?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
10 Replies

7. Solaris

"flar create" produces a tiny flar image of rpool

Hi, can someone help with the following? I got 1x146GB disk which is span by just one zfs rpool. When issue for example: as you can see in above output the flar is very small, just around 10KB rpool with all data sets has several GB so this can't be good image. This is on the Solaris 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8 Flar Creation/Restore

I'm new to utilizing Solaris... especially the old 8 version, but I'm trying to find out if there is a way to create a Flash Archive of a disk that can be restored on a smaller size disk or disk of varying size? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scifi_vixen
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Restore from flar image

Hi! I want to migrate Sun Fire v240 server (sun4u) with Solaris 10 update 6 to LDOM virtual host (sun4v). I was mount NFS directory from another server in /mnt and did this steps on v240 1) I add to the /var/sadm/system/admin/.platform PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4v # cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbubentsov
1 Replies
bup-damage(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-damage(1)

NAME
bup-damage - randomly destroy blocks of a file SYNOPSIS
bup damage [-n count] [-s maxsize] [--percent pct] [-S seed] [--equal] DESCRIPTION
Use bup damage to deliberately destroy blocks in a .pack or .idx file (from .bup/objects/pack) to test the recovery features of bup-fsck(1) or other programs. THIS PROGRAM IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA bup damage is primarily useful for automated or manual tests of data recovery tools, to reassure yourself that the tools actually work. OPTIONS
-n, --num=numblocks the number of separate blocks to damage in each file (default 10). Note that it's possible for more than one damaged segment to fall in the same bup-fsck(1) recovery block, so you might not damage as many recovery blocks as you expect. If this is a problem, use --equal. -s, --size=maxblocksize the maximum size, in bytes, of each damaged block (default 1 unless --percent is specified). Note that because of the way bup- fsck(1) works, a multi-byte block could fall on the boundary between two recovery blocks, and thus damaging two separate recovery blocks. In small files, it's also possible for a damaged block to be larger than a recovery block. If these issues might be a problem, you should use the default damage size of one byte. --percent=maxblockpercent the maximum size, in percent of the original file, of each damaged block. If both --size and --percent are given, the maximum block size is the minimum of the two restrictions. You can use this to ensure that a given block will never damage more than one or two git-fsck(1) recovery blocks. -S, --seed=randomseed seed the random number generator with the given value. If you use this option, your tests will be repeatable, since the damaged block offsets, sizes, and contents will be the same every time. By default, the random numbers are different every time (so you can run tests in a loop and repeatedly test with different damage each time). --equal instead of choosing random offsets for each damaged block, space the blocks equally throughout the file, starting at offset 0. If you also choose a correct maximum block size, this can guarantee that any given damage block never damages more than one git-fsck(1) recovery block. (This is also guaranteed if you use -s 1.) EXAMPLE
# make a backup in case things go horribly wrong cp -a ~/.bup/objects/pack ~/bup-packs.bak # generate recovery blocks for all packs bup fsck -g # deliberately damage the packs bup damage -n 10 -s 1 -S 0 ~/.bup/objects/pack/*.{pack,idx} # recover from the damage bup fsck -r SEE ALSO
bup-fsck(1), par2(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-damage(1)