Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitor a file and send mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Monitor a file and send mail Post 303017046 by proactiveaditya on Tuesday 8th of May 2018 11:36:56 AM
Old 05-08-2018
Monitor a file and send mail

I want to monitor the maillog file in real time and send a mail when a certain grep condition is met. Every time the grep condition is met a mail will be sent. I wish to ignore all grep conditions 30 mins after each mail and thereafter continue monitoring.

For example:
  1. Condition is met, mail is sent
  2. 30 mins no mail even if condition is met.
  3. After 30 mins again condition is met and a mail is triggered.
  4. Again for next 30 mins no mail even if condition is met.

and so on.

I am doing the following:

Code:
tail -F -n0 /var/log/maillog | \
 grep -v --line-buffered 'status=sent' | \
 grep --line-buffered -v 'relay=local' | \
 grep --line-buffered 'relay=' | \
 while read line
 do
    echo "$line" | \
    mail -s Test mail@group.com
 done

Now i am not sure how to prevent mail sending 30 mins after the event is triggered.

Last edited by rbatte1; 05-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Formatted numbered list with LIST=1 tags and broke up one huge line to make it more readable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull E-mail address from file, send e-mail

Hello, I am new to perl and need to create a script that will read a file and pull a name from the file and send e-mail. How can I use the following awk statement in a perl script? grep UNIXadmins /root/mail.conf | awk '{ print $2}' and use the output to send a e-mail. Any help would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DC Heard
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send html file in a mail not as an attachment but it should display in the mail in table for

Hi The below script working when we are sending the html as attachment can u please guide how to send thesmae data in table form direct in the mail and not in mail attachment . cat Employee.sql SET VERIFY OFF SET PAGESIZE 200 SET MARKUP HTML ON SPOOL ON PREFORMAT OFF ENTMAP ON - HEAD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
0 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

monitor log entries and send e-mail

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! I am stuck and worried. My assignment was due a day ago and I was too busy completing other assignments due during the same time. I worry that not completing this assignment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin8465
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

monitor log entries and send e-mail

I am stuck and worried. My assignment was due a day ago and I was too busy completing other assignments due during the same time. I worry that not completing this assignment will fail me. Need urgent help in completing the script asap. I dont want to sound pushy to get the answer but just wanted to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin8465
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail.

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hishanms
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for shell script to monitor CPU utilization and send mail once exceed 75%

Dear Group, I'm look for shell script to Monitor CPU usage and send mail once it exceed 75% I'm running Suse10.4. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clfever
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script for monitor send mail service

Hi All Need help Can any one share a basic script that is used for monitor sendmail service whether online, offline.etc in solaris Thanks in advance Zimmy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zimmyyash
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to monitor new file in a directory and mail the file content

Hi I am looking for a help in designing a bash script on linux which can do below:- 1) Look in a specific directory for any new files 2) Mail the content of the new file Appreciate any help Regards Neha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha0785
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor file if match then send mail

Hi I want to monitor a file even if the file rotate. When a text occurs I want to send a mail. Something like this but it's not working correctly: tail -F mylog.log | grep 'MatchMe' | while read line do echo $(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") MatchMe occurs | mail -s "MatchMe"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chitech
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)